Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2010, 07:19 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

ok, so we still are not seasosnal campers but do love camping, so we are going on more & more weekend trips & some mini vacation trips. I in that thougt have been using the cheapo 2 way radios & have thought about upgrading my truck with a CB, any thoughts or input on this, are there people out there that still use them? I have a old CB hanging around with antenna I just need the cable. Now what should my handle be Vader? Vader 1? Rubber Duck?
11 Ram 2500 - Green Machine - retired
16 Chevy 2500 - Bone Crusher - the dark side
08 CR Zinger 30BH - Zing 1
Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:35 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

wouldn't a cell phone be a better choice ?.........

2004 Ford F-350 CC dually 4X4
mbinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:40 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

I wanted it for convoy traveling - we usually bring another family with us or other campers will go with us
11 Ram 2500 - Green Machine - retired
16 Chevy 2500 - Bone Crusher - the dark side
08 CR Zinger 30BH - Zing 1
Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:48 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader

I wanted it for convoy traveling - we usually bring another family with us or other campers will go with us
A FRS radio may work better. Short antenna and you can use a handheld unit. Such as the Motorola T5320 FRS handheld radio. There are many other types and models.
rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:16 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Not sure when the last time you used a CB, The last time I did there was not any thing I wanted to hear i hear on it.

I hope there are no kids or lady's around while it's on.
gtoguy1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 05:37 AM   #6
New Camper

If you already have a CB and all you want it for is convoy communications, all you have to do is tune to a channel that others aren't using. No need to monitor all the BS that goes on on the road channel.

They also make some very inexpensive walkie talkies that can be used for up to a couple of miles and don't require an expensive license.

Jeb1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 08:11 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

I know Wash State just enacted a no cell phone law so be careful. Not sure if the state laws prohibit CB/FRS use while driving (specifically by the driver).

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 11:33 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

CB's have yet to be outlawed like cell phones mainly b/c not every moron (I mean driver) has one in their hand and stuck to the side of their head so they can't see. CB's are useful but unless you are screening for traffic updates (new GPS can help better in city areas) or chatting on a random channel with co-travelers you aren't going to get much use of it. I have one and grew up with them and today when you call "how 'bout ya southbound- any bears on the backdoor" you get "ha- yeah and honky tonk is totin' my ..(*&$@&^!". So- I hardly ever turn mine on any more or just turn the squelch up to the point I can only hear those within a mile or so to pick up any road closure or emergency alerts that might be overheard.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:00 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

Well I still have one in my truck. And it comes in handy when there is a traffic jam and your on an interstate away from home. The truckers know more than the GPS when it comes to getting around road closures. I don't see FRS working a fewmiles on the road. The woods are another story. But I may be wrong. I don't have a lot of experience with them. The cheap set I did have didn't have much distance to them. And if you believe that 27 mile range advertising, I have a nice beach front lot for sale in Ohio.

As for a handle? How about Lazy Boxer?

<font color=BROWN>2006 33RL Paradise Point</font>

[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

https://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...amper/33rl.jpg
CamperNJ is offline   Reply With Quote