Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2015, 01:21 PM   #21
Weekend Camper

I use led bulbs from rvledbulb.com located in mesa, Arizona. reasonably priced bulbs, good warranty. my elevation is the second unit I have installed them in. Have yet to replace any that have failed, ony from installing them which was my fault, yet they were exchanged at no charge, no questions asked.
acftphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 10:21 AM   #22
Weekend Camper

When installing your LED be aware of the possibility that they might not work the first time. If it does reverse the polarity or simply turn them upside down. I did have this problem and I did search like hell the solution ;-)
Ford250_335SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 12:31 PM   #23
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford250_335SS View Post
When installing your LED be aware of the possibility that they might not work the first time. If it does reverse the polarity or simply turn them upside down. I did have this problem and I did search like hell the solution ;-)

had this happen in my previous camper in every housing 1 bulb would work 1 would not. i carefully removed bulb holder and flipped over as my bulbs were flat disc type so it was not as easy as flip bulb over
35chevypu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 07:31 AM   #24
Seasonal Camper

You can get bulbs as bright or as dim as you want and in any color range you want. I didn't like the blue white ones or the orangeish ones at the other end of the spectrum. If you learn the types you can dial in exactly what you want. I like 5050 leds (which are very bright) in the 'natural light' mid spectrum rather than the flourescent bluish or incandescent yellow ones. I settled on 48 5050's per fixture since I want it BRIGHT. Others like it dimmer. I bought different ones to experiment from China through ebay and they work fine while being cheap enough to pitch if you don't like them. Many people feel the more expensive ones are better and maybe they are.

An added benefit is the reduced power drain and not having to listen to the converter fan. They also run cooler. I'm very pleased with mine.

One of my early experiments involved wiring up two led plates together and then fastening them to a metal heat sink to up the lumens of some dim (not 5050)leds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WIN_20150429_102349.jpg (121.3 KB, 4 views)
stormseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 08:11 AM   #25
Full Time Camper

I replaced all the inside bulbs with LED's purchased on eBay. They have been in use over two years without any problems. We are in the RV 6 months at a time. I agree with stormseeker, can't beat the price.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 08:47 AM   #26
Seasonal Camper

We replaced all of the incandescent lights in our old 2011 Greystone last year. Went with the white light spectrum color that replaced the 1156 series round bulbs. All of them worked perfectly the first time and we loved the result.

Pulled them all out and reinstalled the 1156 series bulbs when we traded the Greystone in for our new Landmark and gave the bulbs to some RVer friends of ours who are still using them today with zero bulb failures.

Most RV suppliers have a display that shows the different types of LEDs and the different color ranges. Equally important is that the displays show just how little power the LEDs take and you can feel the display to see how little heat they generate (won't damage your light covers the way the incandescent lights will).

They are a bit more expensive to buy but the cost of ownership over time is probably lower plus the quality of the lighting is much, much better, IMO.

Our home base -- 2018 Grand Design Solitude 375RES -- The "Uno Mas!"
The mobile office -- 2016 Crossroads Hill Country HCT26RB -- The "Poquito Mas!"
Gone but not forgotten: 2015 Heartland Landmark 365 Key West (lost to Hurricane Harvey)
TxCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote