Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2017, 03:59 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Changing the converter to a inverter

Like to get all your thoughts on how many hours my dealer might take the change the converter two inverter on my 2018 290 QB TT
I'm hoping they'll be able to put it in the same spot wire it into the fuse box and Bob's your uncle
Sunset calgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 04:09 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Curious as to why you would want to do that and not just add an invertor
Old 09-15-2017, 06:02 PM   #3
Gone Traveling

Also curious? How do you plan on charging your batteries without the converter? Are wanting to run every 120 volt plug with this inverter? If so, where will you put the huge battery bank required?
I agree with Shane, why not both?
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 08:34 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

Lol now that I look at the title I didn't really mean change a converter into a inverter rather replace the converter with the inverter/ charger adding one or two solar panels on the roof to charge up the batteries when boondocking
Sunset calgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 10:11 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

This is just my opinion, but you would need all three, i.e. converter, inverter and solar panel to charge a bank of batteries. Here's my perspective: 1. Get more battery, 2x12, or 2x6, or more. Most items you need will run off of 12 volt. Get a 12V television. Use propane for high-energy items like cooking, fridge, hot water. Consider changing regular light bulbs to LEDs to save some wattage. Install more 12 volt cigarette lighter plugs and USB outlets. Find a 12VDC power supply for your computer. Use a DC input for things like CPAPs, whenever possible. Get an inverter if you must, but consider installing the car type. They are cheaper, and are always there with you even when you're not camping. Need to use a hair dryer? Start the car, plug in the hair dryer, 3 minutes later you're done. Good luck!
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 11:42 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset calgary View Post
Like to get all your thoughts on how many hours my dealer might take the change the converter two inverter on my 2018 290 QB TT
I'm hoping they'll be able to put it in the same spot wire it into the fuse box and Bob's your uncle
I don't think you will be swapping them. What will more then likely happen is you will add an inverter.

Are they making a 290 QB TT now for 2018? I didn't see that one in their lineup.
How about putting the info for your rig, in your signature so everybody knows what you have and are talking about?
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote