Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2010, 03:35 AM   #1
Seasonal Camper

I am getting ready to start my spring camper to do list and one of the things is to do some work under the camper and I want to replace the "tarp" type material with coroplast. Has anyone done this and if so what thickness did you use? I have done some searching on rv.net and seen 4mm up to 8mm thickness suggested. I would think 8mm would be awfully thick.

Thanks,

Lonnie

04 2500 Hemi Ram Quad Cab
Chuck N. Wined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 05:25 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Lonnie, I think 8mm is what you are looking for. Larry Day (Dayle1) installed that on his Cruiser.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:43 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

I used the 4mm. Its still a work in progress though and right now the 5er is back in the shop.We had it in for warranty work and they had a oops on the rear wall.Now they are replacing the rear interior panel.We used plastic lattice dividers between our sheets of coroplast.It has the most overlap of any thing we could find that would fit over the sheets.I may go back and add additional support in a few places after I get the unit back.when we are done I will add additional pictures to my post on underneath.Ask Larry if his sags with the 8mm ,mine does a bit but think it will still do what I intended just need to finish and get a trip or 2 on it to see if I have it all secure enough.

2019 Volante 240RL
mapachoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:13 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Lonnie, Why are you doing this ? Not saying it's not a good idea, I would love to be able to get to my under side, But realy don't have a reason at this time.
gtoguy1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:08 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

8 mm is like 1/4 inch thick, not much difference in weight than 4 mm. It does cost more, but this stuff is pretty inexpensive anyway. 8 mm does not sag, it should flex less than 4 mm from wind or road conditions and therefore less likely to pull out of 'H' trim or enlarge screw holes. I was suprised at how easily the stuff can be folded to fit around the sewer pipes and yet return flat and undamaged. 'H' trim, in aluminum or plastic is very common in home construction (i.e. Home Depot, Lowes) for 1/4 inch plywood.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:19 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

coraplast comes in sizes from 2mm-12mm. i pay $7.99 for any color 6mm-48"x96". i use alot of it and my local supplier discounts for quanitys over 5pcs. if you need to bend the coraplast at any angle you can easily do it by cutting only one side of the "flute". the sell a knife that does it without cutting through the other side. if you need to connect two pieces together you can take a step stake(the wire frame that you normally see holding political signs upright) and cut it into pieces and slide it into the flutes on both sheets.

2000 ford f350 v10-2008 ford oem rims & tires

https://i647.photobucket.com/albums/u...cture451-1.gif

spinella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:51 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Thanks for all the good info! I have a couple of names of potential suppliers in my area so I am going to make some calls in the next couple of days to see what I can get. Based on everyones comments I will go with the 8mm. I was thinking that I would overlap the sections by about 2 inches then caulk them with a black roofing or flashing type of sealant at those seamsbut I will look for some type of "H" trim to connect them instead.

Don-I am doing this because I have to take a look at my freshwater tank. When I have more than 1/2 tank full and park on an incline where the rear of the 5er is lower than the nose I get water dripping out from under the camper. I had this "fixed" once when I took it to the factory and the problem then was that fresh water fill tube was loose. I don't know if it has come loose again or what is happening. I also want to do the mod where you change the freshwater pick up tube so you can get the all the water from the tank and I might put in different tank sensors (sea-level I think are the ones). That and I just love working on my camper!

Lonnie

Old 04-12-2010, 11:46 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Lonnie when you get tried of working on yours, come on down and work on mine.. Flying j still has a lot of spots

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 03:16 AM   #9
Seasonal Camper

Lonnie, I understand. I would love to be able to get in there a look around, I'm just not sure I'm there just yet. I too have had water in the under belly before but only once ?? I'm not sure where it came from but I always watch now and so far so good.
gtoguy1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 03:42 AM   #10
Seasonal Camper

Don,

When I do this I will post what I find out. I will also try to take some good pictures to post.

Lonnie