Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2010, 09:46 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

Cutoff Switch for Landing Gear and Battery:

1. Someday the neighborhood kids may decide to press the landing gear button and crush my rear stabilizers or damage (mechanically jam) the landing gear or worse damage themselves.

2. Just read on another Forum where a camper chained his generator to the landing gear leg. While he was gone the tow pin was braced and the landing gear was raised then the other leg blocked up and lowered. His chain and generator are missing.

3. We also disconnect the battery cable then not using the RV and plug in the Battery Minder. Don’t worry my unplugged battery minder cannot discharge my battery. We wired in a 120 acV two pole relay that totally removes the minder from the battery when unplugged.

SO.

Weinstalled a double switch system made up of two 180 amp heavy duty battery cutoff switches, a plastic junction box and a 40� battery cable and full loop / crimp on terminals. We drilled three holes into the side of the plastic terminal box. The holes were just big enough to pass the two battery cables and landing gear supply wire through.

The battery was disconnected and its terminals covered. The positive cable formerly on the battery and still running to the RV terminal strip was moved to the terminal of the (MAIN) new cutoff switch. A new 40� battery cable and a short #10 wire were connected the remaining terminal of the Main battery cutoff switch. This new40� battery cable will be reconnected to the battery when finished. The remaining short #10 was run to the second cutoff (landing gear cutoff) switch.The wire from the landing gear switch was traced back to the RV terminal strip and removed from that terminal (the same terminal thatwas connected directly to the battery) and placed on the output terminal of the landing gear cutoff switch.

All of my cutoff switch terminals were firmly tightened down and double / jam nutted. A wire tie wrap was placed on each wire into and out of the junction box. They cannot be pulled out or pushed in. All cables were then covered with spiral wire wrap.

The battery cables were placed back onto the battery and the systems tested good.

We went overboard and ordered a switch cover for the outdoor landing gear switch. It had to be ground down to fit and then it is only held in place by silicon glue. A poor excuse for security and finding the key is going to be a pain.

<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" />

Kamper Dave

Old 04-22-2010, 03:18 PM   #2
jeb
Family Vacation Member

Wouldn't it be possible to just install another properly rated switch in line from the battery to the outdoor switch? The battery compartment is locked and pranksters probably wouldn't go to the trouble of either opening the door or even looking for the second switch. A thief, on the other hand, won't worry about the lock and can just turn the second switch on regardless of where it's located, once they find it. If you really want to cause them problems, relocate the second (in-line) switch elsewhere, maybe even inside the trailer in the front bedroom closet or something. Then, when you're set up, it's just a matter of throwing the switch and leaving it off until it's time to go.

Just wonderin...

Your installation looks extremely well done.

jeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 02:48 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Jeb,

Thanks for you ideas.

I always figure that if they want in bad enough they will find a way. I just want to slow them down and make it difficult.

On our last Cruiser we installed the same cutoff configuration in the locked battery compartment.This new CK31RE10 has no battery compartment. The vented battery box is screwed to the floor of the forward basement.The factory 12 dcV connections are made on an exposedwall mounted strip maybe 3" off of the floor. Due to these exposed connections, we installed some 2" x 5" pvc angle do keep any loose metal object beingstowed in the basement from shorting out these battery connections. I would have prefered installing a plastic enclosure over these terminals but spending that much time in that small forward basement compartment would do my back in.

Thanks Again.

Kamper Dave
Old 04-23-2010, 03:09 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeb
Wouldn't it be possible to just install another properly rated switch in line from the battery to the outdoor switch? The battery compartment is locked and pranksters probably wouldn't go to the trouble of either opening the door or even looking for the second switch. A thief, on the other hand, won't worry about the lock and can just turn the second switch on regardless of where it's located, once they find it. If you really want to cause them problems, relocate the second (in-line) switch elsewhere, maybe even inside the trailer in the front bedroom closet or something. Then, when you're set up, it's just a matter of throwing the switch and leaving it off until it's time to go.

Just wonderin...

Your installation looks extremely well done.

This has been an idea I've pondered for quite some time. And the in-line toggle switch would be the easiest way to do it. I've also contemplated replaceing the landing gear rocker switch with a key switch as I've already got the remote control landing gear and not having the key readily available wouldn't be an issue. I'm not sure why rv manufactures are putting that switch there in the first place as it's very tempting for a toddler to play with. My old trailer had the switch located in the lockable compartment (6x6 similar to the power cord box)where youoperate the manual crank if need.

'06 F-250 SD V-10

SCT custom tuned

https://i785.photobucket.com/albums/y...a/SDC12617.jpg
ryeja is offline   Reply With Quote