Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2018, 04:59 PM   #1
New Camper

Duct Work

I see a lot of post on A/C issues. I just bought a 2019 Sunset Trail 331BH. I never had the issue with my Rockwood but I can’t get my camper below 79 degrees on hot days. I have only 4 vents total in the camper 1 in the bunk house 2 in the main cab 1 in the master. All vents pushing air and 49degrees. I am curious about adding more vents to it. Please keep in mind I do HVAC for a living so I understand how it all works. Thanks in advanced for any and all responses
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 09:02 PM   #2
New Camper

I'm in the same boat. 40 foot fifth wheel, 5 vents. Seem to be blowing cold, but will get my temp gun out tomarrow. My trailer has a standard S track lay out (right duct goes to the rear of the trailer from the unit, left goes to the front.)

The entire right track has one vent.... One.....

When I decide to look at the duct work I quickly realized that 25% of the entrance to the ducts were blocked. When I fixed that flow increased greatly, but with five vents its a trivial improvement overall.
timmins02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 09:11 PM   #3
New Camper

Do you think it’s possible to open the ceiling and make an H Trac? I would love to add 4 vents.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 09:20 PM   #4
New Camper

Honestly I think it would be too much work., my only idea is add about 3 more vents to the rear ac track, add about 3 more to the front, the isolate the two tracks and duct the bedroom into the front track. It's not a perfect solution, but then my 15k would only be dealing with the great room (living room, dining room, kitchen) and my 13.5k would be dealing with the bedroom, tiny mid bunk, and bathroom)
Old 07-01-2018, 09:21 PM   #5
New Camper

Also I sent u a pm
Old 07-03-2018, 07:11 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I see a lot of post on A/C issues. I just bought a 2019 Sunset Trail 331BH. I never had the issue with my Rockwood but I can’t get my camper below 79 degrees on hot days. I have only 4 vents total in the camper 1 in the bunk house 2 in the main cab 1 in the master. All vents pushing air and 49degrees. I am curious about adding more vents to it. Please keep in mind I do HVAC for a living so I understand how it all works. Thanks in advanced for any and all responses
We had a similar problem with our 28BH...turned out the ducting was not done correctly. After getting it routed to the vents correctly and sealed up, the AC has cooled the trailer adequately.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:45 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolls fam View Post
We had a similar problem with our 28BH...turned out the ducting was not done correctly. After getting it routed to the vents correctly and sealed up, the AC has cooled the trailer adequately.
How did you get into the vents to route them correctly?
benzesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 05:13 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzesrule View Post
How did you get into the vents to route them correctly?
I had to drop it had s repair facility as I was less than 10 days from a move across the country. I know they taped up the air return (lots of cold air just cycling) and they said they had to tape up the ends at each of the vents. I believe they also snaked through the vents to clean out the left over debris (saw dust, shavings, etc). I think the taping (sealing) had the most impact. It went from having the AC freeze up every couple hours to never having a repeat of that issue (and it’s now been almost 2 years).
Old 07-08-2018, 03:17 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

rolls fam: you wrote "I had to drop it "had s" repair facility". What kind of repair facility did you mean? Absolutely not judging typos as I do my fair share, just wanting to know where you took it for the work.

Thanks,
Dale
DC8Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 03:51 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdhealy4 View Post
rolls fam: you wrote "I had to drop it "had s" repair facility". What kind of repair facility did you mean? Absolutely not judging typos as I do my fair share, just wanting to know where you took it for the work.

Thanks,
Dale
Yep, big typo on a little screen. It was a trailer and rv repair place. Should have just been “ I had to drop it at a repair facility”. The shop was a small local place in southern Illinois. I paid for the repairs (couple hundred) out of pocket. Most of the cost was labor which is a bummer but was necessary for me at the time.
Old 03-01-2020, 02:38 PM   #11
New Camper

My sunset trail 280bh had the ends of the duct wide open into the ceiling and poor fit on vents. I made foamboard blocks to fit In from ceiling vents and foil taped and also sealed all vents to duct in ceiling.made huge difference.also pull grill on ac unit and make sure duct sealed there and return and cold air are sealed from each other.it amazes me how poorly most campers are assembled no quality control and people putting them together that just don't care. Hope it helps someone if not the original poster
35chevypu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 02:45 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

AC work

I just added a mini split AC unit and now have all the cooling I want without the noise everybody else has.
greetings, Harold
Old 08-20-2020, 10:08 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

hbrand, can you post information on the mini split ac and how you installed?

2014 Cruiser Patriot 335SS
gmccabejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 10:16 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

I have a Cruiser 305 SKP 5th wheel... It is 33 feet long with 3 slides and a 15,000 BTU air conditioner...On a 90 degree day camping in a totally sunny campsite the internal temp is usually around 80 degrees and sometimes higher with the thermostat set at 73...I attribute it mostly to the amount of insulation or lack there of in the camper...

PS---I would also like to know what a mini split is.???
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote