Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2016, 02:07 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Fathers day projects

Found a couple places to go camping in the National Forest, so had to get everything updated for off the grid.

Flushed water just to get full clean tanks.

Installed the power disconnect switch (and re installed the batteries) as I have killed the batteries twice when in storage between trips. I don't store at the house and cannot charge for days on end.

Sight window since I just like to see the indicator and got tired of taking it on and off to look

I have to keep the camper at storage due to no appropriate place at my house and HOA restrictions. They re-rocked the area I park in and the stock foot wasn't big enough. It just sunk in once sitting on the smaller surface area. Fix = cutting one of my Aspen stumps (it weights nothing) to give me more surface area

Old 06-20-2016, 05:19 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Those look nice. I really like the idea of the opening in the tank cover. Beats removing to see switch or red empty indicator. Wonder how hard it would be to put a hinged flap over it to keep water and dirt out. (Not trying to make work for you, just thinking out loud if I decide to do it)
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 05:47 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve7 View Post
Those look nice. I really like the idea of the opening in the tank cover. Beats removing to see switch or red empty indicator. Wonder how hard it would be to put a hinged flap over it to keep water and dirt out. (Not trying to make work for you, just thinking out loud if I decide to do it)

On the backside of the hole is a sheet of plexiglass. It's riveted and sealed with caulking. Should have included that in the description so no worries on water or dirt. It took all of 30 minutes (if you have the tools)? Making the bracket for the electrical switch took way longer.
Old 06-20-2016, 05:50 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Ok, now I see it. Funny I noticed the rivets but didn't put two and two together. That's great!
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 06:37 AM   #5
New Camper

I love the indicater window. My husband is about to say to hell with the cover because he is sick of fighting with it. I will have to show him your picture. Do you use two batteries or one? Can you expand a little be more on the installation on the kill switch? That seems more like what I was trying to explain to my husband that we should do wth our batteries because we can't plug in as well.
onthegomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 01:44 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthegomom View Post
I love the indicater window. My husband is about to say to hell with the cover because he is sick of fighting with it. I will have to show him your picture. Do you use two batteries or one? Can you expand a little be more on the installation on the kill switch? That seems more like what I was trying to explain to my husband that we should do wth our batteries because we can't plug in as well.
Thats exactly where I was with the cover, looked around here and people had fair points on why to keep it, so I decided to make the opening.

Two batteries, but I am running a pair of 6V batteries. You could just as easily run a pair of 12Vs, we had to replace the factory battery anyways, it was junk for a RV IMO, I couldn't even get 1 night of it running the heater (no lights) on the way from purchase to home.

Battery disconnect switch. This is basically what I purchased. https://www.amazon.com/Marinco-701-B...battery+switch

Also purchased an additional power cable and a metal bracket. I will try to take more pics (better lighting), but simply inserted the switch inline with the negative from the camper, then cable from the switch to the battery. switch has 4 bolts through it and the bracket, and 2 of those bolts also go through the L brackets that the batteries sit on. So far works great, the first trip we took it out after installing, we had ZERO issues dry camping over 3 days (and we didn't really put it on shore power before we headed out). Hoping to get the camper in the next couple of days to prep for next week and will try to get additional images.