Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2021, 11:05 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

Finished Screen door Mod!

Decided to post my mod of my screen door separate from the original post asking for help. Hope this might help someone that’s thinking about doing this. Well it’s been about four months since I started the post asking for information. Found out that ordering a sheet of lexan was expensive, ($123.00 for a sheet to do all three pieces and $150.00 for shipping; yea crazy) and too expensive to order through Lowe’s or Home Depot. So, I found a local private hardware store that will cut plexiglass. So, I made a pattern for the upper curved part of the door. Took that and my exact measurements for the three pieces and had it cut. Cost was $60 for the plexiglass and cutting. It was a little tricky bending them enough to pop into the groves of the door but finally got them in. The small piece in the middle of the door on the left was the hardest because it’s less pliable. I left the screen in the door for now. Might take it out; haven’t decided yet. The plexiglass is clear but looks like it’s darker because the 5er is inside my building. But overall satisfied with the results.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 799FE218-B8A8-46C2-B6AD-747C41EC7BA7.jpg (144.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 09DB3528-89ED-4DE9-B900-400044D61CA7.jpg (161.2 KB, 21 views)

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 10:43 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Yay Papa-T

That's a good looking mod.

Funnily enough Janine and I were discussing doing exactly that last week during a brief trip to local State park.

We ruminated over the pro's and con's of doing this, I wonder if you'd mind sharing what benefit tipped you into the 'let's do it' column.

Hope you're fairing well Brother.
Biggles607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 10:53 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

Whoops,

I just found your previous post which pretty much answers my question.

For us, the extra light at the back of our TT afforded by opening the rear door is a bonus, but we too do not want the A/C the entire state park.

Having said that, a 'controlled burn' close to the campsite made opening the doors impractical even with our A/C off, your plex door may have been the answer.

Thanks
Biggles607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 11:24 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Yea it was going to be expensive ordering Lexan with shipping. Basically was going with that because I could cut it myself because plexiglass is difficult to cut without cracking or chipping. But since I found a local private hardware shop that cut it; hey good deal for me. I had a thin piece of plastic that I used to make the template for the upper curved part of the door. I cut it and kept sanding and shaping it until it fit into one side of the upper door curve. Once you get it to fit one side. They basically just flip it to template the other side of the door curve. I did give 1/8” clearance on the sides and top to bottom so it would fit. Just have to be careful putting it in; bowing out the middle so the sides can pop in. I actually took my whole door off and laid it down so the plexiglass could lay flat and I ran a bead of clear silicone around the edges to keep it secure. It wouldn’t have came out but I didn’t want it moving or rattling around.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote