Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2017, 04:12 PM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Fixed my underbelly liner

Finished winterizing the other day, and mouse proofing came step 2. My underbelly liner had lots of ripples/bulges under the frame that was just screaming for a vermin entry point, also had an area where someone must have needed an entry point and an opening the size of his fist. First thing I really disliked was Crossroads large flat washers with self tapping hex heads as there was a bulge between almost everyone of them, and again the previous owner tried caulking these closed with poor success. So off with the washers and cut myself 3/4"x2"wide stripes of fir and self tapping screws every 6 inches all the way around the trailer. No more easy access into the underbelly. Today was feeling a tad ambitious and decided to scrape/clean and paint all the black, frame, hitch, stabilizers, steps, and that 3/4 inch of visible wood. If it was black it got a tune up. Tomorrow will put the propane tank and things back on because of painting and call this trailer winterized. I will be adding a tippy teatter with an antifreeze bath and bounce sheets just for the hell of it. This trailer has never had a mouse in it and sure would like to keep it so. I know that's a bit hard to believe from what I saw underneath for workmanship but the previous owner had it stored in a rental spot that was just a huge gravel compound, no grass or weeds, and it was spotless so I'm sure that helped. The best chance for gaining a rodent would have been from an infested neighboring trailer. Knock on wood I guess !!