Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2009, 04:12 AM   #1
Seasonal Camper

I bought a wall mount for the 19in flat screen we bought for the bedroom. It is one of the kind that tilts, swivels and extends. It looks like a good mount. My only concern is attaching it to the wall. The directions for it say to only mount it to 2x4 studs. I am concerned about themetal studs being able to support it. Should I look for a mount designed for metal studding? Does such a mount exist? Or should I use the one I got with sheet metal screws?Also, do any of you that have this type of wallmount take the tv off the wall when traveling? This mount has a bracket that screws to the wall and the mounting arm slips over that bracket and can be removed when necessary. I wonder about the stability during towing.

Thanks,

Chuck

04 2500 Hemi Ram Quad Cab
Chuck N. Wined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 05:51 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
They have hollow wall/stud hardware, basically you drill a hole, insert the screw and it opens and "grabs" the inside of the wall stud.

I found them at HD/Lowes. They work great.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 11:33 AM   #3
Site Team

Our 5er came from the factory with the type of wall mount you're talking about. We leave the TV attached during travel, (19 in.) with support in front so it can't swing out. So far it has worked for us.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 11:23 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

Chuck,
When I did the CR factory tour I noticed that they put 2x4 (or 6) backing plates between studs wherever they were going to mount a heavy object like a TV mount on the inside wall. Even so I still didnt trust it for my larger LR TV as it is such a cantilevered load bouncing up down as you travel so I take it down and secure it when traveling. My 2 cents worth. Ken
Old 10-24-2009, 11:59 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

I don't have any flat screens in my 5er but I would find it hard to believe that all the mount would be mounted to is a 2x2 aluminum studd, I sure wouldn't trust it, I suggest you call the factory and see what they use for mounting the TV....better to be safe than sorry.....

2004 Ford F-350 CC dually 4X4
mbinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 01:11 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
Then don't look behind your TV ent. center your 26" TV is sitting in! LOL.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 01:13 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

While the exterior wall studs are aluminum, I'm pretty sure that partition walls use wood studs, either 2x2 or 1x1 depending on location and probably NOT on 16 inch centers. The hollow wall anchors suggested are probably not rated to handle the weight of a TV, especially in a bouncing RV, and they won't work with a solid wood stud. They may work if you truly can get a sufficient number of them mounted into actual aluminum studs. You really need to contact the factory about exactly where you plan on mounting the bracket.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:25 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Wegenerally prefer to err on the side of caution. Whenwe had a regular (CRT) television,we set in onthe floor at the foot of the bed - not much room for it to bounce around in.

Welayour flat screen televisions in the middle of the bed, face up. So far I haven't had any problems.
lynlou14760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:51 AM   #9
Seasonal Camper

I talked to Randy M. at the factory yesterday and he was very helpful as usual! I am just not sure about mounting this bracket to the wall. Randy did give me some ideas but after thinking it over I may justfabricate a bracket in the shape of an upside down"T" or "L" and attached that to the existing tv shelf then attach the tv bracket/arm to that. I just need to check to see if I have enough vertical clearance between the shelf and ceiling to slide the bracket on and off its mounting while it is attached to the tv. If I fabricate something I will post pictures when I am done.

Lonnie

04 2500 Hemi Ram Quad Cab
Chuck N. Wined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 03:13 PM   #10
New Camper

hOW ABOUT MOUNTING A 1X4 HORIZONALY (18")LONG AND THEN SCREWING INTO 2 STUDS?.......hANKY hANK
handyhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:17 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

i used a 3/4 thick plywood 6 in. wide by 18 above the tv shelf and put the bracket on that hase been working great for over a year

https://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...2005zinger.jpg
vanhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:17 PM   #12
Family Vacation Member

I have a CF29CK and wanted the largest TV I could get. The two swivel rockers are a long way from the entertainment center and since the new LCD flat screens seem so much smaller I really wanted a 32 inch screen. The opening for the TV would not accomodate a TV of this size. I believe a 26 inch is the largest that will fit this opening and sit on the shelf. The slide comes right in front of this area when retracted so a permanent mount on the outside of the opening was out of the question. It must sit on the shelf in the cabinet.

I solved this problem by taking a piece of 1X6 oak approximately 18 inches long and mounting it with a piano hinge on the opening of the shelf. I fabricated some braces from oak that are permanently attached to this "new shelf extension" so when it is unfolded it makes a perfectly level extension of the shelf in the cabinet. When varnished it perfectly matched the color of the original oak vaneer Crossroads uses. I cut a piece of non slip rubber cabinet liner my wife uses in the kitchen cabinets to make a very stable non slippery platform to sit my new 32 inch LCD. It works perfectly! When we prepare the 5th wheel for travel I just sit the TV inside the cabinet DIAGONALLY and put a bungee cord in front of it. I mounted two small eyebolts on either side, one in the front and one in the rearof the cabinet so when the light weight bungee is attached it holds the TV snuggly into the cabinet. I then just fold the "shelf extension" over to where it lays up inside the cabinet and retract the slide. This has worked so well for us and I have had many folks comment that it looks like it came from the factory with this tilt out shelf extension. It could support considerably more weight than my 32 inch is putting on it.

If it were not the dead of winter I could open it up and post some pictures. I hope this gives some of you ideas. I personally would be afraid of mounting anything on the wall to hold a TV unless significant bracing was used.
Pull Dog is offline   Reply With Quote