Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2016, 09:48 AM   #1
Seasonal Camper

General TPMS questions

I'm thinking about buying a TPMS system for my toy hauler. I don't want to jump into it blindly though, because the systems aren't cheap and I'll have to pay a few extra bucks to have my rubber valve stems replaced first.

So my questions are...
  1. How secure are the sensors? How often do they get stolen?
  2. Do they only work when you're moving or can you read your cold tire pressure before you depart?
  3. What's the best brand?
  4. I have a long bed truck and my fifth wheel is 44.5" long. Will the signal reach that far or do I need something to boost the signal?
dedmiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 11:19 AM   #2
Gone Traveling

I've got TST 507 & it works on all 10 tires without a booster, my 5er is 40'. I've never lost a sensor & never had one stolen in 3+ years (I don't have the anti theft devices on, too big of PITA) & of the 10 I've only replaced 6 of the batteries, BTW you can replace them easily. After about a 10+/- minute warm up when turning the monitor on you can read the pressure & temp of all the tires. It has saved me a couple times with an alarm, but for a blowout or extreme tire failure unless you see a temp change it won't help. I highly recommend this brand.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 03:30 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

I have the TST 507 too and it works without a booster. I got the flow thru sensors which are quit large and obvious but so far have not had one stolen for two camping seasons. They are real good at helping out with programing over the phone too. Regardless of what brand you get be sure to install metal valve stems.

Dale
DC8Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 06:44 PM   #4
Gone Traveling

The flo thru wouldn't work on the duals on mine as the stems are lined up together so no room.
Old 07-05-2016, 06:39 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Tire Minder

So my questions are...
  1. How secure are the sensors? How often do they get stolen?
  2. Do they only work when you're moving or can you read your cold tire pressure before you depart?
  3. What's the best brand?
  4. I have a long bed truck and my fifth wheel is 44.5" long. Will the signal reach that far or do I need something to boost the signal?
[/QUOTE]

1. Never had any stolen. You need to have them indentified because after a tire rotation it’s confusing.
2. Tire Minder: press the button for 10 seconds in the morning and it will update the readings.
3. We like Tire Minder. Our first unit was a pain but they undated and this new monitor is nice. In fact they called me to let us know about the update and offered a special price including a digital gauge and now send us a set of batteries every 6 months. They also replaced a defective sender that had a broken solder joint at no cost to us. Now that’s good customer service.
4. Booster: Yes and I am convinced that it isn’t the distance as much as signal interference from other electronic devices. Since we moved the new monitor to the left of the steering wheel away from other gadgets it works great. I hung the booster near the rear window of the cab and it works fine there and the flashing red light not only lets me know that it’s working but others that there may be a security system active in the truck.
5. Tire Minder was easy to program and easy to drop the trailer monitoring once unhitched.
Old 07-05-2016, 10:49 AM   #6
Gone Traveling

I have TST 507 on all 10 tires, no booster needed, never lost one to theft or falling off (they come with an anti theft feature but on a dually it's a PITA), user changeable batteries available locally, flow thru sensors available so you don't have to remove sensor to check/add air (also a PITA on a dually), been in use for 3 years & have only replace 6 of the 10 batteries, would highly recommend. Regardless of the brand you choose, metal valve stems are a must on all the tires with sensors or plan on testing the system regularly due to broken rubber stems.
Old 07-05-2016, 07:44 PM   #7
Site Team

I also have the TST flow through sensors. They have an allen head set screw, so they don't back off and are not easy to steal without the correct size wrench. I don't like steel valve stems and have never had a problem with rubber stems.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2022: 3 trips, 18 nights in 4 states, 2352 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 5336 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 09:28 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

When people say that steel valve stems are necessary for tpms installation, do they mean bolt in stems?

They didn't have any bolt ins when I got the new tires on my windjammer and just put regular steel stems in.
KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:28 AM   #9
Gone Traveling

Provided you don't see any rubber on the stems you probably have correct ones.