Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2019, 07:25 PM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Goodbye Range

Hi Guys,

I'm seriously thinking about removing the range from my beloved Harvey.

It's a Dometic oven and triple burner arrangement, and apart from a brief test when we took delivery of the coach, I don't think we've EVER used it.

We would gain additional countertop, and a huge drawer space where it currently resides underneath to put our preferred induction cook top and electric griddle.

Your thoughts and apprehensions would be greatly appreciated before I set about it with a screwdriver etc.
Biggles607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 08:06 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Up until last camp trip out we've never used our oven but I just used a stove top burner to burn a couple burger buns as there was a 40mph wind out the door. We carry a George Foreman for those such days. It was actually the first time we ate indoors. Another thing Mamma Bear just started to use with awesome results is a air fryer, which were also going to get another for in the trailer, they work very well and no one was more surprised than me. That definitely eliminates an ovens wasted space and also adding a convection microwave is another big plus and on the too-do list. My best Buddy also just mentioned removing his stove/oven also, so I'm pretty sure your not alone and you'll get plenty of replies with wise results and alternatives for the open space. Good thread to start, be watching.Later...
Old 09-05-2019, 08:29 PM   #3
Site Team

I say what works for you works for you. On the other side the wife uses our oven almost every trip. She wishes it was the same size as our camper was. Love me some biscuits and gravy. Or if we have a large group she makes the corn bread while i cook the ham and beans in the iron pot on the fire. Just saying.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 09:54 PM   #4
Gone Traveling

Ordered our last 5er with the oven deleted & big drawers added in it's place also had the convection/ microwave added. The c/w had quite a learning curve but DW got mastered. After a few months we ordered the NuWave induction cooktops & afterwards never took the cover off the gas cooktop. So I'd say go for it, you'll be glad you did!
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 07:23 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Thanks you Guys,

You all provided wise and valid replies.

I'm dying to try your biscuits and cornbread. My Darling Beloved, who can cook with the best of them, has never been much of a baker.

Our M/W, Induction top and O/S gas grill I think will keep us well fed, if we do get the urge for baked goods I'm gonna be knocking on your doors.

As soon as I get the laminate, I'll publish a play by play of the job with photos and all.

Wish me luck please.

Thanks again.
Biggles607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:21 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Oven

We use the Nuwave induction cooktop and Airfryer oven XL. We love to grill outside or carry Nuwave outside. We camp in all temperatures which I favor the Nuwave and airfryer if temps are too hot. I prefer to use the stovetop or oven with cooler or cold temps.

2018 Dodge Ram 2500
2017 Crossroad Rezerve 27BH
Jkhoff0214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 10:28 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Stove Delete - keep the cooktop

We did the stove delete years ago. Replaced it with a convection microwave and a 3 burner stove. Gave us a cabinet above the stove for cookbooks and such.

Lots of ways to make biscuits and cornbread:
1. Use the convection microwave
2. Use the cast iron skillet with a tight lid to "bake" the biscuits.
3. Break out the dutch oven and charcoal. Makes for an enjoyable evening activity.
4. Try a green tree branch (remove the bark) and twist the dough around the stick. Then hold it above the coals. Cooks just fine. ..and it's got a hole in the middle for jelly or honey.
5. If you're really adventurous (sp?) you can get a Xerox box (the kind you get paper reams in) and a roll of aluminum foil. Look up "cardboard box cooking". There are lots of links on the Boy Scout sites. I made cinnamon rolls for a church youth group. Drove them nuts try to figure out how the box didn't burn up.
Old 09-13-2019, 10:39 AM   #8
Site Team

Lots of great baking ideas there. Actually the cornbread goes in the iron skillet in the oven. And we use our camp ovens a lot over the fire coals - no charcoal. The main problem we have found with where we camp a lot is finding a 110 volt squirrel to plug in to and when on the rare occasions we do find one HE DOES NOT LIKE IT! So for us the oven stays - Happy wife Happy life or so they say.

But i am looking forward to your stove delete mod.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote