Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2011, 08:02 AM   #1
New Camper

i just got our new 5th wheel and we need to haul our pelican boat with us ! we need help of how to make this work for us ?
ANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 12:43 AM   #2

Well, first of all it doesn't seem like anyone wants to touch this one. So, I will attempt a suggestion. First of all, I don't know how long your boat is, which could determine how this can be accomplished. One suggestion is to have a heavy duty hitch installed to the rear frame of your unit.It also depends on where you live as some states have triple tow laws. These can be very confusion. Then check out this site for the swivel wheel trailer and tow laws.www.cruiserlift.com/swivelwheel.html

Hope this helps.DeputydogEdited by: Deputydog
Old 03-27-2011, 03:36 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

We haul a 10ft trailer for the quads behind our CH32BL and just fit within the overall length limits here in Alberta. That being said there seem to be few other Provinces / States that allow the triple tow.
We had a local fabrication shop cut off the factory bumper and install a heavier unit welded directly to the frame with a hitch integrated. It is rated for 3,00lbs so the weight is not an issue.
There is much discussion on this forum about voiding the frame warranty but it is a risk we were willing to take.
If you do go this route, remember that you will have no way of seeing the second trailer behind your FW while traveling down the road. There are back-up camera kits that could help or alternatively you could install some flags on the back of the boat trailer that hang out far enough that you can see them behind the FW. We went with the flag route on ours. Works fine. I recently bought a wireless back-up camera from a local dealer to give a better view of the quads on the trailer, but despite the claimed 300ft range, have not been able to get a strong enough signal in the truck to be of any use. My next step is to try a passive repeater to get the signal out of the trailer itself.
Good luck with whatever you do.

Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:56 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

In Alberta you can be a total of 65'-6" long tip to tail in fifth wheel to tow type only. Sask and Manitoba allow 75'-6". (I dont know why) and dont even try to go into BC with this configuration. They will probably confiscate your outfit and have you killed. After all B.C. stands for bring cash. When having your hitch installed on your 5-er be sure that the installer welds in an additional cross brace as trailer frames tend to be weak way out on the back end. A little extra cash, but it could save some griefin the end.

2008 Seville CK35

Work related Camping 6-8 months a year. [img]smileys/smiley16.gif[/img]

Doug Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:00 AM   #5

I agree, I have friends that pull boats behind their units as well as trailers with golf carts. They are taking chances on being charged. I have talked to several Highway Patrol and DMV officers and each one gives you a different answer about towing behind fifth wheels. I don't pull anything behind mine. The website about the swivel wheel gives information about tow laws for each state. It is very confusion even for someone in Law enforcement.

Edited by: Deputydog
Old 03-30-2011, 09:18 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

We bought the CTX5th wheellast year which came with a factory hitch. We have a lot of lakes in Tennessee and like to take our 4 seater Waverunner SUV with us and it works great.

I just ordered a rear camera to help with backing up and to see what's going on back there. To be honest, I sometimes forget it is back there and worry about pulling it with blown tire. My pull unit is a Dodge Cummins with a few mods and pulls everything very easily. Tennesse allows triple tow but not all states do.

Captain Mike is offline   Reply With Quote