Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2013, 11:44 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Just received new decal graphics for the front cap of my 06 5th wheel. They can only be purchased now through a dealer! I was very unhappy with the closest dealer's prices but got on the Internet, found several other dealers, and ended up ordering from Lazydays in Florida. Their price was considerably less than many others. I guess some dealers feel they must milk you for all it's worth and others realize that good relationships come through treating people right.

I read somewhere that you can spray some water with a little Dawn dish liquid in it and this allows you to slip the decals around some and get them where they belong. Any truth to this?? Or, does anyone have experience at this and would like to share their knowledge.
Pull Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:51 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Yes this is true. We are installing three new decals on the side of our unit week after next and this is how we intend to do it. You will also need a rubber/plastic squeegee to get the air bubbles out once it is in place. If you do a web search on vinyl decal installation you should get some videos to show how to do it. I am hoping it is easier putting them on as it was getting them off.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:40 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Ken, can you elaborate on how you got your decals. Did lazydaze have graphics from 2006 or did you have to design a new style?

Keith, didn't you buy some special decal remover off the internet? What was it again and how did you like it? I had a cracked decal on the sunshine side that I removed and it was PITA. Now the rest of the decals on that side are ALL cracking.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:41 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

I replace the decals on my last unit. Some points to known. Make sure all the adhesive is removed and the area for the new decal is very very clean and smooth. I recommend 3m adhesive remover and acetone. My method of application was to set decal in desired area and hold it with painter tape on various areas. I put the most tape at middle area of decal because I will apply decal from middle out in both directions. Once I had decal in desired location, I sprayed the rv with windex and then removed backing on 1/2 the decal that I was going to work with first. I spray the adhesive side of the decal with windex also. (windex on unit and decal to allow me to move decal and push air bubbles out with decal install tool-looks like a credit card). I started attaching decal in middle area and using tool I pushed the air bubbles out. Once I got one side attached I sprayed windex on unit for the other side. I then removed backing of decal and spray windex on decal (adhesive side) and started applying decal from middle out again. I did have a few very very small air bubbles that I couldn't get out but as soon as the sun dried the decal the small air bubbles were gone. I replace 4 decals and one of them was near 6 feet long.

Jamestn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:50 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

When I was removing my decals I used a heatgun and plastic razor blades (order them off the internet). Please make sure to not hold heatgun in area very long. You probably could you use a sharp putty knife in place of plastic razor blades. As your heating area quickly use razor blades or putting knife to remove decal. Once I removed decal I tried goo gone and various other internet suggestion to remove adhesive. Nothing worked as well as 3m adhesive remover and plastic razor blades. I had to spray remover 3 to 4 times scrapping adhesive each time until i had all adhesive removed. Once I was happy with no presence of glue I cleaned area with acetone.

Adhesive remover was purchased at NAPA.
Jamestn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:59 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Stan, we used Vinyl Off to remove ours and they were all cracked and faded. We brushed some on the decals the day before we went to remove them so it could soak in and then the next morning before we started. Then we used a hair dryer and a paint scraper with plastic razor blades I ordered from Amazon and slowly took them off. The Vinyl Off will also remove the adhesive left after removing the decals and clean the surface.

http://www.crystaltek.us.com/crystaltek-vinyl-off.htm
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:02 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

[QUOTE=Stan]Ken, can you elaborate on how you got your decals. Did lazydaze have graphics from 2006 or did you have to design a new style?
]

In mid 2012 I contacted the factory about new decals. At that time apparently they would sell to me because I received an email a few days later with a part number and a price of $84.40 + shipping. I was busy with Summer and thought I would put this off until Spring. I finally got around to it in late August because May, June and July gave us constant rain! When I called the factory parts line I was informed they only sell parts through their dealer network. I contacted my nearest dealer (145 miles) to get a price over the phone of $122 + shipping. Since I already had part numbers they only had to look up the price. The front graphics are made up of two pieces or numbers.I was told they would be drop shipped from the factory to me and there was no estimate on time.

At this point I begin to wonder if some of the dealers may have them in stock so I started an Internet search for other dealers. The second dealer had a better price and this set me to wondering about pricing. So I continued to call a few other dealers which led me to LazyDays in Seffner, Fl. Their price was $83. I talked to a guy named Tony and he ordered them with an approximate delivery date of 10 working days and they would be shipped directly from Crossroads in Topeka, In. I received them on Sept 4th. The invoice in the box showed the price Lazydays paid which was $48.95. I'm very pleased with Lazyday's service and courtesy.

I contacted a local company who specializes in graphic design and took pictures of my front cap to see if they could closely duplicate these items. They could but the price would be $250 !!!
Apparently graphics are something the factorykeeps in stock normally. Last year when talking to to them I was informed they were currently out of stock.
Pull Dog is offline   Reply With Quote