Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2013, 02:25 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

I have a solar panel wired in to charge my battery. I am considering putting a gopower 1500 watt pine sine wave inverter into the system. Some are saying I can bring my 50 amp power cord (with adapters) and plug it directly into the inverter to power my circuits inside as long as I turn the converter/charger off at the panel and others are saying I have to install a transfer switch. Does anyone have experience doing this or getting it done ? Thanks
BobbyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:19 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I am curious as well. I have thought of installing an inverter to power my outdoor fridge while we drive. If you plug your cord into the inverter it would be no different than plugging it into your house. It would charge the battery on your rig. Now if you wanted to wire it directly into the electrical system then you would need to install some type of transfer switch so you never power the rig with the inverter and an external power source at the same time.

Bert, Cathy, Kylie & Kaitlin
2014 SunsetTrail Reserve 32BH
2009 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4X4 6.6L Duramax
YouTube LetsRV Instagram LetsRV_
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:55 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

You could also use a Outback Power inverter (GFX1424), this inverter is capable of syncing the inverter and incoming power. Either route you choose you will need to also have a solar controller to control the charging process. The outback is more expensive but can do a lot more functions if used with the display/programmer.
whwaldrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:53 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

That's pretty interesting. What solar panels are you using with that inverter?

Bert, Cathy, Kylie & Kaitlin
2014 SunsetTrail Reserve 32BH
2009 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4X4 6.6L Duramax
YouTube LetsRV Instagram LetsRV_
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:03 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

I'm using LG 250 watt panels @ 24vdc feeding into a Flexmax 80, that feeds my 10 - 265ah batteries going to the FX inverter. This allows me to use it to supplement power and then to act as a UPS if the power is lost. The inverters can be stacked and programmed to change modes on loss of AC in. I can produce about 38 amps @ 240vac in full sun. Debating if I should put something similar on my new TT I just ordered. Of course I will have to cut down on the batteries weight 171#'s a piece.

WW
Old 04-29-2013, 11:46 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by whwaldrep
I'm using LG 250 watt panels @ 24vdc feeding into a Flexmax 80, that feeds my 10 - 265ah batteries going to the FX inverter. This allows me to use it to supplement power and then to act as a UPS if the power is lost. The inverters can be stacked and programmed to change modes on loss of AC in. I can produce about 38 amps @ 240vac in full sun. Debating if I should put something similar on my new TT I just ordered. Of course I will have to cut down on the batteries weight 171#'s a piece.

WW
WOW!! What did you have before that could haul 10, 171# batteries?
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:01 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

They are in the basement of my house, don't believe any tt can haul that much. We are buyinga new ZT39BH.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:14 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

Thak you everyone for your replies. Much appreciated !
BobbyO is offline   Reply With Quote