Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2010, 07:28 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Was doing some tidying up around the front of my Cruiser the other night. Reached up to turn the exterior light on and hit the landing gear switch instead. No harm done of course, but then I had the chilling thought that a neighborhood yah-hoo might do the same, only with evil thoughts.

Has anyone installed a kill switch for their landing gear? Should be easy enough, just interested in how others may have done theirs.
lynlou14760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:51 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynlou14760
Was doing some tidying up around the front of my Cruiser the other night. Reached up to turn the exterior light on and hit the landing gear switch instead. No harm done of course, but then I had the chilling thought that a neighborhood yah-hoo might do the same, only with evil thoughts.

Has anyone installed a kill switch for their landing gear? Should be easy enough, just interested in how others may have done theirs.
I put a switch inside some what hid even when you open the access door. I did this not only for the reason you memtioned but may slow down somwone who may try to steal the trailer. By the way the switch on my 2010 Cruiser is on the outside where it is always acessable.
rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:25 PM   #3
Site Team

I split the wires on the motor for the landing gear and installed a plain old simple light switch. Mounted it inside the front storage door on the ceiling.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:38 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

On our '07 30sk I installed a light switch inside the locked battery compartment to cutoff the landing gear power. Haven't done this yet with the new 30sk and will have to put it inside front compartment where the battery now is located. I think it is a good mod. for many reasons already listed.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:33 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Not to hijack this thread, but along the sames line, I have noticed that there are 2 wires running to the landing motor.

When reversing the motor from "up" to "down" do these 2 wires reverse polarity. or does each send +12v one at a time to change direction.

Reason I ask is I want to build a wireless switch system to activate the jacks from a key fob.

pulpwood007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:57 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulpwood007
Not to hijack this thread, but...I want to build a wireless switch system to activate the jacks from a key fob.

Remote controlled landing jacks? Pulpwood, you are my "hero of the day", I love it!
lynlou14760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:17 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

I think that diesel Dave makes that mod, I think that Huntter and several other have made that mod. They will probably chime in here

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:16 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynlou14760
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulpwood007
Not to hijack this thread, but...I want to build a wireless switch system to activate the jacks from a key fob.

Remote controlled landing jacks? Pulpwood, you are my "hero of the day", I love it!
Well thanks, but don't make me your "hero" too quick. Not sure I got this thing figured out as of today!

They make a commercial version, available at Camping World and other places, but I've discovered remote switches with key fobs are really cheap. Only problem is they will not handle the current load of the jack motor.

Next step would be have them control relays that would handle the current. Was hoping someone would answer my "polarity" question above as I have not had time to go into my jack motor to determine how it is wired.

Stay tuned for a solution!! I may also post this on rv.net to see if any home made solutions out there.
pulpwood007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:50 AM   #9
Seasonal Camper

Easy mod to do. When I did mine it took longer to get the parts than it did to do the mod and I live 3 minutes from one of the "big box" hardware stores. I just bought a plastic "handy box", 2 strain relief camps, a standard white light switch and face plate. The wiring for my jacks ran right by the front, side compartment door so I just cut the "red" wire and spliced in the switch. We have several .........ornery kids in our neighborhood, nice kids but the "Dennis the menace" type and they are very curious about the camper so I figured a ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. It did take me a while to get used to having the switch. The first few times I forgot and thought my landing gear were messed up. Now it is just part of my routine to turn it on, lower the gear then it turn it off again.
Lonnie

04 2500 Hemi Ram Quad Cab
Chuck N. Wined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:19 AM   #10
Family Vacation Member

I bought my wireless remote from dieseldave last year and it works great. Thought about changing everything to wirelss but justrecently decided against it.

As far as a lock out switch, it's simple to do, just be sure the switch is rated for the load.Edited by: ryeja

'06 F-250 SD V-10

SCT custom tuned

https://i785.photobucket.com/albums/y...a/SDC12617.jpg
ryeja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:00 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

I do have a kit if any one is looking into a remote control to run the jacks. just send a email to me or email wirelessjack @aol.com.
diesel dave 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 03:29 AM   #12
Family Vacation Member

I bought a 2 battery cut-off switch. I put my slides & jacks on position 2. While stored the battery is off, while traveling, on position 1 to work the emergency brakes & the refer. I put it on both while setting up, then back to position 1 while camping.
'12 Crossroads Rushmore RF38FL (ours!)
Barry, the ADHD x 2 German Shepherd mix, Granddog.
FFFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:22 AM   #13

I have a push button switch that came off a set of work lights that I would like to use to make my kill switch for the landing gear motor .There is a white, black, and green wire going to the push button switch and the same colored wires coming from the switch on the side. Ok My question is. The wires going to the landing gear motor from the outside switch are red and black and are already spliced with wire nuts. The confusion part for me is the red wire coming from the switch is going to the black wire on the motor. And the black wire coming from the switch is going to the red wire on the motor. How do I hook up the wiring on the switch and do I need the ground wire? Any help Please!
Old 05-03-2011, 09:07 AM   #14
Family Vacation Member

Ted, a DC motor will go cw or ccw, the color of the wire doesn't matter. The switch is reversing polarity between the hot/power & the ground, which changes the direction of the motor. The switch mfg, couldn't have known which color wire the motor mfg was going to use. Look on your jack switch & there is a power wire going to the center of the switch. This is the 1 wire you cut & put in your cut off switch. I would not cut or use the white or green on you p/b switch, just the black. Using a p/b switch has a disadvantage, of not knowing if it is off or on.
'12 Crossroads Rushmore RF38FL (ours!)
Barry, the ADHD x 2 German Shepherd mix, Granddog.
FFFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:20 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

Make sure the switch you are installing is rated for at least 20Amps. I checked my motor amperage and was surprised to find that the motor draws 17-18 DC amps when lifting the 5er.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 01:49 PM   #16

Thanks for the info. Deputydog
Old 05-04-2011, 05:41 AM   #17

Thanks FFFord and Stan. Ended up purchasing a heavy duty Light/Toggle

switch and low profile metal box/lid from the local building supply store. Got it all hooked up and mounted inside right in storage compartment. I have always felt uneasy about the landing gear switch exposed on the outside. Not sure why Crossroads did that. My last camper had a lockable box it was inside.Oh well, now I can kill the power after I set up. Thanks again for the advice. DeputydogEdited by: Deputydog
Old 05-04-2011, 07:58 AM   #18
Weekend Camper

100ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:05 AM   #19
Weekend Camper

The lock-out switch is a great mod. In addition to the tampering factor, I have heard of water getting into the switch (forward facing location) and activating the landing gear when the vehicle was in motion. Yikes! I don't know if this is true, however it is some thing to consider. Even without water entering the switch, the switch could malfunction or one of the wires could come loose. An easy mod with instant piece of mind.

See you out there,

Robert
100ton is offline   Reply With Quote