Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2009, 12:54 PM   #1
Full Time Camper

Well, I took the plunge and ordered some LED from SUPERBRIGHTLEDS lighting to replace the mini-flood lights and main lighting throughout the camper. Installation is a breeze, although the LED's will only work one way in the socket. After install, flip the switch and if it don't light up, reverse it and there shall be light. The only issue so far is that the LED's tend to want to slide toward the back of the reflector, thus shining the light out towards one side vs if it was centered. I might try some little stick-um balls to mount the LED's in the center of the light diffuser against the ceiling to get a better coverage.
The light color will take a bit to get used to and I did order the base LED rather than the upgraded brightness. For me the softer color is okay. The mini-floods I replaced work great and I will be giving them a test this weekend. Now as for the temperatures, after installation, I left the main lights on for about an hour to see how hot they would get. The LED is resting on the light diffuser and after one hour, the diffuser was warm, but not nearly at hot as the old bulbs that I took out, not to mention the energy savings. Before if I turned on the 3-main lights, the converter fan would just barely run, if I turned on the bathroom light, the fan would get a little louder, then if I turned on the bedroom light, the fan would really ramp up. Tonight, I turned on all of the lights I replaced inside with the LED's, 14-bulbs total, 4-mini floods and NO converter fan. I even turned on the bathroom vanity light, which I did not replace, and still NO converter fan.
I think that once I save a bit more money, I will look for replacements for the bathroom vanity and the outside lights as well. I did keep the old bulbs so when it does come time to upgrade cruisers, those LED's will be coming with me

2015 Rushmore Springfield
Disc Brake upgrade, Goodyear G614 tire upgrade
RV FLEX-ARMOR roof, Mor-Ryde IS suspension

2017 F350 Dually 4x4 6.7 Bronze Fire
gossamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:54 PM   #2
Site Team

If I remember right, the LED lights I put in the living area had a stickum base. I just peeled the paper backing off and stuck them in the desired position.
I to have been thinking of replacing the ones over the vanity.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:26 PM   #3
New Camper

Send a message via AIM to Leroy Asad
I might try some little stick-um balls to mount the LED's in the center of the light diffuser against the ceiling to get a better coverage.</span>

</span>
</span>
</span>
</span>
</span>

</span>
Leroy Asad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:01 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy Asad
I might try some little stick-um balls to mount the LED's in the center of the light diffuser against the ceiling to get a better coverage.</span>

</span>
</span>
</span>
</span>
</span>

</span>
Looks like another spam sandwich to me.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:08 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

We have a 2012 Crossroads Sunset Trail 26BH, I was never happy with the interior lights (incandescent 921 bulbs) and the amount of light that they give off (and it tended to be a yellow colour) the trailer always seems dark.

The 2 clothes cupboards (1 on each side of our bed) are quite deep and one could never find anything in them if it was beyond the first 6 inches.

The hood over the stove barely had enough light to see what one was doing.

And my wife like to read til the wee hours of the morning and the bedroom lights kept me awake.

The outside storage units had only 1 lamp and camping, trying to fish weinner sticks out or some other items was always a challenge and I was constantly looking for a flash light.

The exterior porch lamps were just not right, and I definitely did not like the tail/brake/signal lamps and felt that the clearance lamps were not very bright and all standard exterior lamps eventually either quite working due to bad connections or end up very dim due to bad ground connections.

In other words I did not like any of the lamps.

I first found some LED lamp strips and glued a strip down each side of the cupboards (4 in total, strip each side =2, X 2 cupboards = 4) and put them on magnetic switches so when you open the cupboard door the lamps come on and go off when one closes the door.

Beautiful, great light and no one can forget to turn a lamp off and kill a battery.

I next glued a strip on the underside of the hood and now we can see what is on the stove or it make a great light in the middle of the night to find medicine or what ever.

Next I started to search for replacement lamps for all of the lights in the trailer and I finally found them, direct replacements for the exact fixtures, pull out the bulb and mount the LED board on the fixture and insert the plug. These are from a company called Command Electronics. This company actually supplies the fixture in our trailer and they make a LED lamp assembly that simply plugs into the fixture and uses double sided tape to hold the board in. Not cheap $23.00 per board

They also have replacement for the accent lights over the table and couch, as well as the one on the wall. I replaced all of these.

Finally I did not like Command Electronics clearance lamps and Brake/Stop/Turn so I searched and found SuperBright and they had what I considered to be very acceptable replacement units (not just bulbs). I replaced all of the exterior lamps. Now I am confident when we are travelling down the road and dusk is just coming on we are visible and at night the lamps look great.

I also added a second set of Brake/Stop/Turn units above the manufacturer ones to increase our visibility.

Now I am happy we have lots of interior light and are very visible on the road.

Finally I added 3 LED lamp units in each of our storage (external) cupboards and there is not enough light to see what one is looking for.

Oh finally I happen to find map reading lamps so I installed them under our sheves on each side of the bed as reading lamps, they are not quite as bright as I would like but they work very well.

All in all these mods were time intensive to install and NOT cheap but it make me and the wife happier so all in all worth it.

The 921 bulls draw about 2.5 Amps individually, produce enough heat to fry an egg the replacement LED lamps draw about 0.3 Amps and run very cool, barley notice any heat when one places a finger directly on the board assembly.

Our trailer has 12 fixtures for general interior lamps therefore old bulbs = lots a power draw on a battery and way to much heat for my liking.

If anyone want more info on what I did post a message and we can get together and discuss in more detail.
egrum is offline   Reply With Quote