Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2013, 06:06 PM   #1
Full Time Camper

Talking LED Mood Lighting

While browsing in another forum I found some interesting LED light strips. Cool white, red, blue, green color choices. A 16.4 ft strip for $8, with 300 LED's. 3M adhesive backing to stick wherever. They run on 12v. Oh, and dimmable. Hmmmm While contemplating possibilities in my trailer, under kitchen cabinets for more light for one I found a remote control dimmer for them. Now the plot thickens.

Since I couldn't have but one wireless controller (???) where would you like remotely dimmable lighting, bedroom (in blue)??? You can also get a manual dimmer for cheap for other spots.

Under the kitchen cabinets a strip or two tied into the 12v under-counter light already there to supplement or replace the existing? No dimmer needed.

Don't need 16' in one strip, you can cut the strip after every 3 LED's. Could have 5 3+' strips.

Here's the link for the wireless dimmer. From that site you can see the bulbs, interconnects, etc

http://www.amazon.com/Controller-Dim...productDetails

I'm going to order a LED strip, dimmer, and interconnect cables and just see what happens. What other ideas does anyone have?
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:28 PM   #2
Site Team

If they're waterproof, under the RV for a neat effect at night. Just like the neon lights on tuner cars.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:07 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

I'll find out. I ordered a string of white and a string of blue. 2 dimmers and interconnects. Total with shipping $43. Being they are LED's and emit almost no heat I would almost bet you could stick them on and spray shellac or lacquer over them to waterproof them??? Don't know.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:22 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

I have a friend that just installed similar lights in his RV and his TV remote changes the lights when he changes channels, not good.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:48 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ-Carol View Post
I have a friend that just installed similar lights in his RV and his TV remote changes the lights when he changes channels, not good.
The remote I ordered is an RF remote not infrared. I could see that with an infrared remote.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:13 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
If they're waterproof, under the RV for a neat effect at night. Just like the neon lights on tuner cars.
When we camped in Ohio, we saw an RV decked out with All Things Ohio. And it had red LEDs around the base and around the patio mat. Very cute.
2013 Zinger 30KB - Sold
CrossroadsRV Rally 2013 & 2014 - Northeast Crossroads Rally 2014 - Mason-Dixon Rally 2014
BODERRVING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:13 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

I have 40 ft of led strip light waiting to go under my tt, I have some 24 inch strips for each of my entry steps. it will look good with the jumper I made that turns on my running lights when in camp.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:40 PM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Clif,
When you install the LEDS I would be interested in your install. How do you plan on splicing into the existing lighting and have a clean looking installation ?
Old 12-04-2013, 07:32 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by concreteman View Post
Clif,
When you install the LEDS I would be interested in your install. How do you plan on splicing into the existing lighting and have a clean looking installation ?
Don't hold your breath, they won't be here until next year (). Coming from china.

The plan is to remove the under counter light over the sink and splice in there bringing the wire out the back side so it won't be seen. I will put the light fixture back but may or may not put a bulb in it. If I do I'll probably put a small switch for the LED's so I can have either or both. Probably put a piece of 1/2" quarter round in front of the lights to conceal them. The quarter round once stained won't show up as bad as just the lights and will keep the light from shining out. Same over the stove area. Both places need more light.

Just my first thoughts, subject to change.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:10 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Have already done this.....I have 72 feet of blue lights mounted underneath our fifth wheel.....Was not fond of putting up lights on the awning every time we parked so we went with this route instead. Perfect in adding additional mood lighting and also safety without annoying the neighbors or nature.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:35 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

I added LEDs under the trailer at the steps. I can tell which camper is mine from clear across the campground at night. Very handy for beer runs

In the spring I plan on adding some under the running boards on the Armada since I tend to stumble into it when it is dark after a couple of those beer runs. I'm also going to add a strip above the diamond plate on the front of the camper, similar to some of the Sunset Trail rigs.

Just be sure to use a high quality PWM type dimmer for direct 12v lighting. superbrightleds.com has a good selection of these that work well. I have even run 12v over/under cabinet lighting in my house kitchen using these.

Another option is to use subminiature snap-action switches on cabinet doors so the lights come on when you open the door, like it works in your fridge. I have wired a couple closets at home this way and plan on doing the camper under-bed and outside storage the same way.
2012: 10 Nights & 254 Miles

Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 01:13 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardvoia View Post
Have already done this.....I have 72 feet of blue lights mounted underneath our fifth wheel.....Was not fond of putting up lights on the awning every time we parked so we went with this route instead. Perfect in adding additional mood lighting and also safety without annoying the neighbors or nature.
Quote:
I looked at the ones I ordered and they show waterproof???
Old 12-05-2013, 02:08 PM   #13
Seasonal Camper

mine are UL waterproof from superbrightled.com . stay off that website or you may develop a bad habit.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:17 AM   #14
Family Vacation Member

They also make "color changing" so you can pick the color as you like,orange for Halloween,red for deer season or Christmas in July... also the remote has dimmer in the changer controller.
Some LEDs from China come very fast.

2006 GMC Duramax-Edge Evolution

2011 CT29RLX

Bikes,Canoe,toys,toys,toyz
we-canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 11:51 AM   #15
New Camper

Any suggestions as to where you could buy the snap switches?

John and Salena Fritz
SalenaJohnFritz is offline   Reply With Quote