Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2020, 01:00 PM   #1
New Camper

Lifting My 5th Wheel Help

I own a CR28RD and need to lift it because my back jacks are very close to the ground. I know I can adjust the pin box to help level it. The rear axles are already flipped and I have thought about moving up to 16" wheels since I need to do away with the china bombs I have on it now. I emailed Crossroads to find out what brand of wheels I have now but they gave me their standard reply to go through a local dealer and since it took 3 months to get new trim and a CO2 detector the last time, I will pass. So here are my questions.

1. Do any one know the brand of that Crossroads uses and/or where would you look for new rims?

2. Any ideas on how to raise the trailer at the rear axles.

Any help will be great.
bfd192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 01:14 PM   #2
Site Team

Not sure who makes your present rims, Lionshead does make for a lot of rv manufactures though.

As far as new ones, a google search will give you a lot of places to buy rims, Here's one example: https://www.trailer-wheels.com/16-in...els_c_423.html

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 01:18 PM   #3
Site Team

Oh, forgot to post. Here is a lift kit for an RV. https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...71-707-02.html

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 03:31 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Discount Tire has a selection of rims also.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 04:10 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfd192 View Post
I own a CR28RD and need to lift it because my back jacks are very close to the ground. I know I can adjust the pin box to help level it. The rear axles are already flipped and I have thought about moving up to 16" wheels since I need to do away with the china bombs I have on it now. I emailed Crossroads to find out what brand of wheels I have now but they gave me their standard reply to go through a local dealer and since it took 3 months to get new trim and a CO2 detector the last time, I will pass. So here are my questions.

1. Do any one know the brand of that Crossroads uses and/or where would you look for new rims?

2. Any ideas on how to raise the trailer at the rear axles.

Any help will be great.

I find it hard to figure out why you want to go to all the extra work, trouble, and expense to level your trailer. You should be able to get it level by adjusting the pin box and the hitch. If you can't get it done that way, then I wonder what size truck you are pulling it with.
Myself, I need more info from you about your whole setup.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 05:05 PM   #6
Site Team

I was wandering the same thing. I have seen quite a few trying to pull 5th wheels with a truck on 38" tires and a 6"+ lift. And also the same setup in a ditch on its side.

NOT SAYING THAT IS THE CASE HERE!!

I did a quick search for that model and it looks to set pretty high. In one video the man walked around the rear and the bumper was mid thigh and the camper looked to be on a level lot. Just saying.

Also what kind of stabilizers do you have and where are they mounted?

Lippert makes a Correct Track system that will raise the camper 2". Not sure if that would help.

We need a little more info please.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 05:22 PM   #7
New Camper

More Info

A few asked for more info and why I needed to lift the trailer. My truck is 2016 f250 4wd diesel lariat factory height. Hitch is a b&w fifth wheel at its lowest height setting. Pin box is a Morryde. Trailer sets high in the front causing rear auto leveling jacks to be close to the ground. They drag when I back into my driveway and it is a level driveway. I have had people ask me if my jack are all the way up. Also the jacks cannot be raised.
Old 02-14-2020, 05:24 PM   #8
New Camper

I posted with more info. Also springs only have n mounting whole under trailer. All is factory.
Old 02-14-2020, 06:50 PM   #9
Site Team

I think you are in the same predicament as I am.
I would like to have a new truck, preferably a bigger one----BUT, with my trailer I can't go to a bigger truck. They all sit way higher then the one I have.
The bed is higher, and the box sides are higher. That would make my rig ride way nose high. Plus there wouldn't much if any clearance between the box and the under side of the camper.

When I traded my old 2003 Duramax for my present truck my trailer rode nose high with the new truck.
I was able to adjust most of the difference out with pin box and hitch.

I purchased a new set of 16 in. wheels and went with 10 ply tires. It was just enough to level it up. I put Goodyear's on and the tire dealer got me the new rims.

I have the Reese hitch and the Mor-ryde pin box like you.

For the life of me I can't understand why the auto industry has done this to their trucks.
With that said, I can fully understand your issue.
Old 02-14-2020, 07:17 PM   #10
New Camper

Lloyd thanks for the reply. I had a feeling others were in the same boat as me. When I bought the trailer already had my truck and then the nose was a little high but not a lot. But then I did two things that made it worse. First I added air bags to limit squatting and that raised the nose. Second I swapped the pin box to a Moryde pin box which also raised the nose. Trying to correct other issues made this issue worse. I am
Looking at 16” wheels and also maybe some type of lift on the springs to help. I don’t need a lot just a little more clearance.
Old 02-14-2020, 07:29 PM   #11
Site Team

As you can see mine is also raised.
You might have to buy a bigger trailer to fix the problem.

suspension.jpg
Old 02-14-2020, 08:04 PM   #12
New Camper

Lloyd do you remember what brand of wheels and how much higher did the spring leveler raise your trailer?
Old 02-15-2020, 07:45 AM   #13
Site Team

I can't give you a brand on the wheels, don't have that info.
I will attach a picture of the invoice showing product code and description.
Like a said before, these all came from my Goodyear dealer.

Also a picture of the wheels. They're just a plain 6 bolt white spoke steel wheel.
You probably have aluminum wheels?
Where ever you get the tires (if you do that) they should be able to get you a set of wheels also. Just provide them with what your trailer will weigh when loaded.

Picture of the spring hanger. My trailer came from the factory set up with the springs already in the lower holes. First hole is 3 in. down from frame and the second hole is 5 in. down. Second hole being the one the springs on in.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2254.jpg (124.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2252.jpg (172.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2253.jpg (131.8 KB, 10 views)
Old 02-15-2020, 10:02 AM   #14
Site Team

Take your truck and camper to a level parking lot then pull the camper up on blocks -one under each wheel and make sure the blocks are wider than the tires so the tires sit on the blocks. Keep adding boards till the camper is at the height that you like then measure the boards. 1 2x4 =1.5" and so on. The Lippert correct track system will raise the camper 2". And now i see other manufactures are making what looks to be the same product. And also you can use it to align your tires. they comes standard on some campers.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:47 AM   #15
Site Team

I had the same problem. I bought 5 Michelin XPS-RIB LT225/75R16 and 16" wheels from tirerack.com to replace the original ST225/75R15 tires. I measured the bolt pattern and offset of the original 15" wheels to find ones that would fit. The new tires/wheels came mounted, balanced and ready to mount. They raised the trailer about an inch, but put the tires close to the floor. When I installed wet bolts I moved the spring shackles from the upper bolt holes to the lower holes, which gave about an inch and a half more clearance.

The first photo shows the difference in height of the new tire on the left to the original tire on the right. The second photo is before the wet bolt installation, and the third photo is from after the wet bolt installation. I also installed 1.75" square tubing in the spring hangers to beef them up a little.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0757.jpg (337.8 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00362.jpg (221.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00383.jpg (269.8 KB, 22 views)

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2022: 3 trips, 18 nights in 4 states, 2352 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 5336 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 03:08 PM   #16
New Camper

I wonder if a 5th wheel to Gooseneck adapter would make the difference you need.
Nayls47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 04:35 PM   #17
New Camper

I had the same problem. I have a 2012 F350 pulling a 2015 Sunset Trail 28BH. I would scrape the rear going on steep roads. I didn’t want to raise the pin too much to lose the spacing I had over my bed rails. I take the trailer off road a little dry camping and I didn’t want to risk hitting my bed rails. I put a 4” lift by adding blocks on the leaf spring pads. You have to machine a centering pin into new blocks, get longer u bolts, and extend you brake wiring. Attached is a pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CD497EA6-CA10-43F0-90E1-EDFB29876B55.jpg (156.6 KB, 13 views)
psuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 06:53 PM   #18
Site Team

Isn't a sunset trail 28BH a bumper pull?
Old 02-20-2020, 08:12 PM   #19
Site Team

M28BH bumper pull.
SF28BH 5th Wheel.

So it could be either one.

The lift blocks may work if you do not go too tall. Just remember it will move the center of gravity and will make it "top heavy" In a emergency type maneuver it will roll easier.

The "goose-neck adapter" will have the same adjustments as the king pin and if you adjust it to increase rear of camper clearance you loose bed to camper clearance. And if the camper was not built for that type hitch it can be very hard on it and could lead to frame problems. Think of it like this : you are trying to loosen a bolt wilt a 6" ratchet and you can not turn it but you add a 2 foot pipe on the ratchet and its easy. With a kingpin hitch you are pulling up top but with a goose-neck hitch you have added the pipe and not only are you pulling but you are twisting the frame every time you start and stop. Many manufactures will void the warranty on a new camper if it was not built for it.
Old 02-21-2020, 06:39 AM   #20
Site Team

[QUOTE=dagst1;

SF28BH 5th Wheel.
M28BH bumper pull.
So it could be either one.

[/QUOTE]

I guess that shows the importance of having a complete, correct sig.

Tags
axles, height, lift, rims, wheels