Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2020, 09:10 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Losing The Wiggle

I've seen many devices to help the trailer from wiggling every time someone walks around inside it. Being the cheapskate that I am, I thought I could address the problem as cheaply (but safely) as possible. First, I have an 18ft Zinger. Not a big trailer but it still moves a bit. What causes the wiggling is the supports from the frame to the ground. The longer they extend, the more wiggling (flexing) there will be. First thing is to extend them as little as possible. I use the orange blocks that are stackable. The more blocks you use under the supports (I believe the mfg says a max of 6) the less flexing the support will have. Since I've had these blocks for years, cost $0.

2: On my trailer the 4 supports are all oriented parallel to the wheels. The wiggling (flexing) will mostly happen 90 degrees to the support, meaning my trailer will wiggle mostly left/right and very little front/back. What I did was to turn the front 2 supports 90 degrees so they are parallel with the axle (left/right) instead of the wheels. This made a HUGE difference. We now have to actually jump around to get any trailer shake. Mounted them to 2 pieces of scrap steel. Cost $6.

3: I've seen videos on Youtube of various devices to stabilize a trailer. They all pretty much do the same thing, eliminate flexing of the supports. What I did was to buy 2 pickup truck bed cargo supports on Amazon $22ea. These ratchet out to tighten them in place. I place one at the bottom of the flexing support and up to a non-moving portion of the frame (one front, one back). Now the support has virtually no movement at all. Takes about 30 seconds to install. Now I have virtually NO movement for under $50. The photo is the rear support. Works great for me!

Old 09-04-2020, 10:21 AM   #2
Site Team

Good job Jim.
Over the years I have seen where a couple other people have used a similar setup. They all had good reviews also.
Makes ya feel good when you dream something up that works. Doesn't it?
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 10:25 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
Good job Jim.
Over the years I have seen where a couple other people have used a similar setup. They all had good reviews also.
Makes ya feel good when you dream something up that works. Doesn't it?
Thanks. I have several more mods I'll post soon.

Jim
Old 09-04-2020, 10:38 AM   #4
Site Team

I like the idea of the truck bed cargo supports. Good info. Thanks.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 01:53 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

I use the cargo bars. I put them in an "X" between the stabilizers front and back. Bought them at Harbor Freight.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 11:15 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper

I like it, but I need an amazon link to these things. We're on our 1st trip in 25 months. DW wasn't in the camper 2 seconds and the 1st thing she said was.... I can't stand the shaking when you walk. For the love of God, please help me out!!
2011 Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 CTD
4kids2dogs&RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 08:38 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kids2dogs&RV View Post
I like it, but I need an amazon link to these things. We're on our 1st trip in 25 months. DW wasn't in the camper 2 seconds and the 1st thing she said was.... I can't stand the shaking when you walk. For the love of God, please help me out!!
Amazon link.
https://www.amazon.com/Reese-Explore...s%2C202&sr=8-5
2009 F-150XLT
Old 09-05-2020, 11:19 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

DW thanks you!!
2011 Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 CTD
4kids2dogs&RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 02:59 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kids2dogs&RV View Post
Amazon just sent me this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001UGNJ60...v_ov_lig_dp_it

$70 for 2 bars that attach permanently (if you're handy).
Old 09-05-2020, 03:30 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimHanus View Post
Amazon just sent me this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001UGNJ60...v_ov_lig_dp_it

$70 for 2 bars that attach permanently (if you're handy).
I have those also but the cargo bars work better for me.
2009 F-150XLT
Old 09-10-2020, 08:48 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

No wiggle

I am a little confused, you are putting the stabilizer to the frame behind the wheel and to bottom of jack? I thought the wiggle came from the tires moving as you walk. What is the other part you mentioned in number 2? Pictures?
roybliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 04:43 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by roybliz View Post
I am a little confused, you are putting the stabilizer to the frame behind the wheel and to bottom of jack? I thought the wiggle came from the tires moving as you walk. What is the other part you mentioned in number 2? Pictures?
Yes the tires will roll slightly, but only as much as the flexing of the jacks will allow even if you use an X support (rubber flexes). Imagine if the jacks were unflexing solid blocks and straight into the ground (like a house foundation). The trailer couldn't move at all in any direction. Because the jacks are thin steel they will flex slightly when extended causing trailer movement. The top of the jack can't move at all relative to the trailer because it's fastened to the trailer frame. the bottom of the jack will move back and forth because there is a lot weight on it. If you minimize the flexing by adding a brace of some sort from the moving part of the jack (bottom) up to the trailer frame you've created a non-flexing support for the trailer to sit on. Here's a video of the BAL supports which do the same thing but are permanently installed.