Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2011, 11:55 PM   #1
New Camper

Hello all,

First post on this forum, hope to stick around for a while Acquired a 2011 Sunset Trail ST27BH this past May, and have been happily camping with it. My previous equipment was a Fleetwood pop-up, modded to some extent.

I don't intend to use the BBQ that came with the camper. I will continue using my Weber Baby Q. To this end, I've fabricated a metal "frame" to hold the Weber on the 2 "pins" on the rear BBQ holding bracket (on the rear bumper.) So far so good.

I'd like to connect the Weber to the trailer's outside low-pressure quick-connect outlet using the OEM hose supplied. As done by many, I'll simply remove my Weber's regulator, and install a female quick-connect on the Weber. Question: there seems to be several types/models of LP quick-connects. Does anyone here know the specific brand/type number/model of quick-connects used by CrossRoads when building the Sunset Trails?

Thanks!

Jean-Luc

GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:44 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I purchased the LP quick-connects from Camping World and they work fine with the Weber Q. The quick-connect has a built in shut off valve. As you mentioned be sure to remove the Weber regulator.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:20 AM   #3
New Camper

The 36" or so LP hose with quick-connects that came with the trailer is made by Fairview (per the tag on the hose.)

After some Googling around, I found that the female quick-connect housing and the male nipple are from the Gas-Flo RV series in the online Fairview catalog. They are the 1/4" size.

I'll be simply getting an extra full-flow nipple (the Fairview P/N QD-GMRVN4-4M) which I'll adapt to the Weber Baby Q. The male nipple has 1/4" MPT threads and the Weber probably has 1/8 MPT threads (not sure, but it looks like it), so a 1/8" FPT to 1/4" FPT union will be needed as well.

Ideally, I'd be getting an I4TC18FS6QD also available. This is an 18" hose terminated by a 1/4" nipple as well, but with a 3/8" female flare at the other end. Another type of union would be needed to fit this to the Weber 1/8" MPT, but it looks doable, as long as I can get a hold of this hose. I need to find a distributor with stock! The hose on the Weber would provide some measure of "flexibility" and not "stress" the Weber connection with the weight of the Quick-disconnect coupler.

2011 F-150 SuperCrew XLT, EcoBoost

2011 Sunset Trail ST27BH
Old 07-08-2011, 04:11 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Just out of curiosity, if you remove the regulator from the Weber, how do you adjust the flame for cooking?

2003 Lincoln Navigator Ultimate Edition 4X4

2004 Crossroads Cruiser CT30RL
fixit5561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 04:25 AM   #5
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixit5561
Just out of curiosity, if you remove the regulator from the Weber, how do you adjust the flame for cooking?
Regulators don't adjust flow, they only regulate pressure. There's a flow control knob AFTER the regulator on the Weber grill that controls the flow. Regulators have a max. flow rate in terms of BTU/hr ratings (i.e. 50K BTU/hr, 100K BTU/hr, etc.) but they don't actually control this flow.

The Weber grill comes with its own regulator so that it can be plugged directly into disposable LP canisters (long thin "torch" bottles, or the shorter "fatter" Coleman style.) With the proper hose, they can also be plugged into 20lbs bottles (whether with a POL or ACME connection.)

This regulator is attached to a flow control device (which outputs directly through a calibrated orifice to generate max. 8500 BTU/hr of heat) through a standard 1/8" NPT fitting. I'm removing the regulator, as I'll be plugging the Weber directly into the camper's low-pressure line (via the quick-connector coupler.)

2011 F-150 SuperCrew XLT, EcoBoost

2011 Sunset Trail ST27BH