Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2021, 02:43 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Macerator upgrade

Hi, I own a 2019 Crossroads Sunset Trail 253RB that I live in full time. I am so tired of having to drag out the 3" black / gray water drain hose out to dump my tanks especially in snow conditions ( my location prohibits me from having the hose hooked up all the time due to traffic ) so I recently purchased a macerator. I have been shopping online and found that they vary from 69.00 to 300.00. I recently found one at the Walmart website for 37.00 because I am a cheap skate! Same model and item number as the 169.00 model online. It twists right in on the 3" dump hose connection and uses a common garden hose to dump. So much easier then dragging out and putting away the big dump hose!! Then I got even lazier...Why walk into the snow to turn on your pump? I installed a 12v remote controlled relay ( ebay 19.00 with two remotes ) I keep the black and gray valves open all the time ( the fluid will not flow unless pump is on ) Now when I see my sensors tell me my tanks are full I hit my remote and drain both tanks from inside my rig. Next I will hook up a remote solenoid valve to the black tank rinse and I never have to wade through snow to dump my tanks!!
Old 03-15-2021, 11:07 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

The good the bad and the very ugly: https://kleentank.com/rv-macerators-...the-very-ugly/

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 12:03 PM   #3
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don20 View Post
Hi, I own a 2019 Crossroads Sunset Trail 253RB that I live in full time. I am so tired of having to drag out the 3" black / gray water drain hose out to dump my tanks especially in snow conditions ( my location prohibits me from having the hose hooked up all the time due to traffic ) so I recently purchased a macerator. I have been shopping online and found that they vary from 69.00 to 300.00. I recently found one at the Walmart website for 37.00 because I am a cheap skate! Same model and item number as the 169.00 model online. It twists right in on the 3" dump hose connection and uses a common garden hose to dump. So much easier then dragging out and putting away the big dump hose!! Then I got even lazier...Why walk into the snow to turn on your pump? I installed a 12v remote controlled relay ( ebay 19.00 with two remotes ) I keep the black and gray valves open all the time ( the fluid will not flow unless pump is on ) Now when I see my sensors tell me my tanks are full I hit my remote and drain both tanks from inside my rig. Next I will hook up a remote solenoid valve to the black tank rinse and I never have to wade through snow to dump my tanks!!
By keeping all the tank valves open & depending on where the tanks are located you could now just have very large tank as they will all be equalizing. Therefore instead of 1-2 grey tanks you may now have 2-3 black tanks.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 05:12 PM   #4
Seasonal Camper

How very interesting and good timing. This thread couldn't have had better timing, about something I never knew existed, and should be quite handy for this years camping location. Never heard of a macerator. Googled it to find out what that was last night and ordered one today. This will lift the gray water into the tote in the back of the truck. We got a seasonal, with a beautifully secluded site, with water, electricity, and a 150 US gal holding tank that they charge $50 everytime you want it emptied. Rather steep considering the price of the yearly seasonal fee, but thought we'd use the holding tank for the black water, and haul the gray away in the tote. Well that's the plan and we all know how easy it is to break plans, lol... but at least I'll be perfectly set up to empty my tanks into the tote be it in the back of the truck, or behind the quad.
Old 03-19-2021, 12:28 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceallenk View Post
How very interesting and good timing. This thread couldn't have had better timing, about something I never knew existed, and should be quite handy for this years camping location. Never heard of a macerator. Googled it to find out what that was last night and ordered one today. This will lift the gray water into the tote in the back of the truck. We got a seasonal, with a beautifully secluded site, with water, electricity, and a 150 US gal holding tank that they charge $50 everytime you want it emptied. Rather steep considering the price of the yearly seasonal fee, but thought we'd use the holding tank for the black water, and haul the gray away in the tote. Well that's the plan and we all know how easy it is to break plans, lol... but at least I'll be perfectly set up to empty my tanks into the tote be it in the back of the truck, or behind the quad.
Hello it has Been working very well for me. I love the remote control relay I installed. I can drain my tanks at night while watching tv without going outside!
Old 03-19-2021, 04:20 PM   #6
Site Team

"Hello it has Been working very well for me. I love the remote control relay I installed. I can drain my tanks at night while watching tv without going outside!"

Are you leaving the tank valves open? Or do you have remote valves?
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 02:12 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

I am leaving the valves open since there is very little difference because the macerator is not a flow design. It prevents flow until energized. I do not depend on the whoosh from the 3" dump hose.
Don20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 02:26 PM   #8
Family Vacation Member

I would be slightly concerned about contamination issues from black to grey. If you had remote tank valves for each valve, that would be the ideal set up.

Tony & Lynne
Whidbey Island, WA
2021 Sunset Trail SuperLite SS212RB
2019 Ford F-350 FX-4 Crew cab, 6.2L gas
Tonyg2724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 02:28 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

Yes I see your point, still experimenting ting at this time.
Old 03-21-2021, 02:28 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

Oops too many ting!
Old 03-21-2021, 02:32 PM   #11
Family Vacation Member

Please do let us all know how this works out for you. Inquiring minds want to know!

Tony & Lynne
Whidbey Island, WA
2021 Sunset Trail SuperLite SS212RB
2019 Ford F-350 FX-4 Crew cab, 6.2L gas
Tonyg2724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 02:40 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

Will do!
Old 03-21-2021, 04:26 PM   #13
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyg2724 View Post
I would be slightly concerned about contamination issues from black to grey. If you had remote tank valves for each valve, that would be the ideal set up.
Mentioned this in post #3!
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote