Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2014, 09:30 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

mirror on front of fifth wheel

I have seen a few fifth wheels with mirrors on the front to assist in hitching up. Our daughter recently bought a new fifth wheel, and since she has a short box on her truck she has a sliding hitch. The problem is that she cannot see the hitch from the driver's seat due to a head rest in the middle of the back seat. It is a small one, but it is still in the way and it doesn't seem to want to come off. Complicating matters is the fact that this sliding hitch is not forgiving like ours is - you have to be dead on.

I suggested she might want to have a mirror fixed to the front of the fifth wheel to assist in hitching up. Is such a thing available after market? She has a ST 270BH.

Don't bother suggesting a spotter - she is a single Mom and does all this by herself. Thanks.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:33 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Most of the time, those headrests come completely out if you hold the small tabs at the base while pulling.

If not, get a bigger hammer as they do come out with a big yank if they don't have the tabs.

I don't have a middle headrest and can see the pin pretty easy and don't need the extra help.

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 11:14 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via AIM to st.rodder2 Send a message via MSN to st.rodder2 Send a message via Yahoo to st.rodder2
I found this on the web. At one time CW did carry this product.

Hitch Helper Rear View Pin Box MirrorSKU:23-0148

Brand:Stromberg Carlson Products Inc

2015 Sunset Trail SF32RL
2012 Ford F250SD CC 4X4 - 6.7 Powerstroke

st.rodder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 11:23 AM   #4
Site Team

I use a telescoping magnet. Just stick it onto the middle of hitch in the truck.
Telescope it up so you can see it. When you back in, it just pushes right off into the truck bed.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:43 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Our new ford crewcabs had the middle headrest and I pulled it out right away it was tricky since it was pushed down all the way and tight to find the release!

getting in and out is one way, but
if she doesn't want to do an in-bed camera,
she might try one of these
I used one until I figured out that the middle glass has a 'safety glass' etching or something right in the middle and if I line it up JUST right with the top of the trail air shock on my pinbox, I'm lined up...

to help me at night I also put a small piece of reflective orange tape on the pinbox where I need to line up...
Old 05-08-2014, 08:54 AM   #6
New Camper

I had one installed on the front of mine from the dealer. It has the Crossroads logo on it. it makes it so much easier to hitch up.
2013 GMC Sierra 2500HD CC
Duramax/Ally
2011 Honda CRV
miker912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:46 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Our daughter's problem seeing the hitch was fixed by someone who is currently staying with us. He hooked up a couple of 6V batteries to the camera of a backup camera system. Normally you wire it in through your backup lights. This way she can put the camera anywhere and see on the screen in the cab of the truck what the camera is looking at. She can also place it on the rear of the trailer when backing up without a spotter.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:49 PM   #8
Seasonal Camper

This is what I have done and it may help.

When the trailer is hitched and truck straight do the following three things.

1. Put a piece of tape that is easy to see in the truck rear view mirror on the trailer centered side to side.

2. Put a small piece of tape with a color that is easy to see (I use white) in the rear window of the truck that lines up with the tape on the trailer (that is height wise)when viewed in truck rear view mirror and is centered side to side..

3. Put a third piece of tape on lower section of rear view mirror in line with the other two when looking at the trailer in the mirror.

Now when backing up to the trailer keep these three things lined up like using the sights on a rifle.

This will get you almost perfect side to side.

If you have the pin of the trailer at the correct height you should be able to hitch with no problem.

I also use the mirror on the front of my trailer to give me the second confirmation I am OK.

I also stop when I see the hitch is near the pin get out and double check I am lined up and the pin is at the correct height.

But most of the time I am always right on.
rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote