Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2011, 04:57 AM   #1
hhh
Seasonal Camper

I know many, if not most, Crossroads owners have the same TV mount that I do. I found a problem that you may have not noticed and found an easy way to fix it. I also posted this in my bloghttp://www.tgifrv.com/2011/10/modification-to-make-your-tv-mount-more-secure/

After each trip I almost always check out the trailer closely to see if any problems have cropped up. One thing I noticed a couple of trips ago was the television mount. It is a swing arm mount that has a pin in it to keep the arm in place while traveling. While it keeps the arm in place I always thought that the TV just wiggled a lot more then it should.Closer inspection showed that metal inserts in the TV that the mount screws to were pulling out of the TV. I figured I'd keep an eye on it to see if that is the way it was when new or if it got worse. After last weeks trip it appeared that the metal inserts were pulled out even more. It was time to figure out how to solve this before I found the TVsmashedon the floor after a trip. Here is what I did.</span>As you can see below, the TV mount is no longer flush with the back of the TV. While the picture is a bit blurry you can see the metal inserts have pulled out about a 1/4".

</span>I had a couple of tie down straps from on old RV that was used to secure the old tube type TV. They have metal brackets on the end with a straps attached. I drilled holes into the metal TV mount base plate and attached the metal brackets for the straps. Problem was the latches on the end were is such a place that I couldn't easily snap the latches. I cut off the old straps and used another tie strap I had laying around. I strung the strap through the metal brackets and was able to adjust the placement of the latch so I could easily secure the TV.</span>

</span>
</span>
</span>
Below you can see the strap in place around the front of the TV ready for travel. The new strap holds the TV tight to the wall and now there is very little wiggle. Hopefully this idea will help others from running into a problem with their TV swing arm mount.</span>

</span>
https://www.tgifrv.com/wp-c&#111;ntent/gal.../rigsigpic.jpg

'11 CF285RL Patriot - '08 GMC 3500HD D/A CC LB Dually - Yamaha Zuma 125

tgif: let's RV
hhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:50 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

at least your mount appears to have a metal pin to hold the mount ,mine is a piece of ill fitting plastic that wiggles on its own

2011 cf285rl patriot cruiser

07 dodge cummings
joescuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:25 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

I don't trust the mount or any strap, so I just remove the tv from the mount completely and rest it on the bed.

With the mount that came with my unit it's just a wing nut, unplug the power cord, antenna, and dvd player and I'm done.

With your mount you could replace the nylon lock nut with a wing nut, pull the bolt and remove the unit from the mount

Edited by: salda01

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:18 PM   #4
hhh
Seasonal Camper

The strap will hold it fine. My previous rig had the same setup with a strap and I travel close to 20K miles with no problems.
https://www.tgifrv.com/wp-c&#111;ntent/gal.../rigsigpic.jpg

'11 CF285RL Patriot - '08 GMC 3500HD D/A CC LB Dually - Yamaha Zuma 125

tgif: let's RV
hhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 03:38 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Here's how we did it.

</span>

</span>
We put a wooden post in the hole on the bottom of the TV and a strap around the front held to the wall with two big eye hooks. We traveled 8,000 miles this summer over some of the worst highways in the country and never had a problem.</span>

Edited by: KennyB

https://www.runnerduck.com/images/dev...andtrailer.jpg

KennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:27 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

We use two refrigerator bars inside pieces of swimming noodles. does the trick
w&cferb is offline   Reply With Quote