Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2019, 12:05 PM   #1
New Camper

My thoughts on buying a generator

So my last trailer was a toy-hauler which had a built-in generator but my new crossroads trailer doesn't. So I have spent months researching generator brands, what size, how loud and what generator would best fit my needs.

After reading several posts on this site that Yamaha and Honda were best bets when it came to longevity I decided to just spend the money and go deep but with a 15K BTU a/c and wanting to be able to run the microwave and other things simultaneously I didn't like my options.

Due to weight considerations its either buy 2 ea 2000 or 2200 watt generators which dont really have an overnight capability if you needed it unless you buy an extended tank setup and the bigger generators like 4000 or 4500 watt generators which have definite overnight capability weigh in at well over 200 lbs. Getting one of these in and out of my truck for camping is a non-starter.

Then in my research I find a device called a micro-air easystart 364 and what a find. I did my research at the website and on you tube and the reviews are phenomenal especially the reduction in amperage it takes to run my size a/c which could allow me to buy say a 3000 watt generator. I probably could have installed it myself but decided to have a mobile RV guy come to the house which was an authorized dealer/installer on the micro-air website.

So after the install I borrowed a buddies Yamaha 2000 watt generator and it ran the a/c with ease but I still wanted to be able to run more stuff simultaneously. So I finally decided to go with the Honda EU3000is. It does weigh in at 130 lbs but still manageable to get in the truck by myself. Then the moment of truth comes when I finally load test the generator with my camper. With the generator running it handles my a/c, my wife running the microwave and the refrigerator running all at the same time without a problem and best of all you can stand right next to the generator and have a conversation which was another reason I decided on that particular generator.

I feel good about all the research that paid off for me and decided to share the information. Hope this helps someone out their that is trying to figure out the best way to go when it comes to a generator.
2016 F-150 Crewcab FX4 3.5L Ecoboost, 2 1/2 leveling kit, 33" Goodyear Duratracs with Raptor rims, MBRP 4" exhaust, SCT tuner, Airlift airbags with wireless compressor and Snugtop high-top camper shell
sandiegosurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 12:48 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

I purchased the two Honda 2000’s with a parallel kit back years ago. I don’t think you’ll be dissatisfied with that Honda. Congrats.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote