Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2014, 09:06 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

New Mattress

We bought a new mattress before we left on our trip west. It is a good mattress, and as such, is quite a bit heavier than the one we replaced. I stored the laundry baskets under the bed and once a day would lift the bed to put the soiled items into the baskets and would do laundry when they were full.

This morning I lifted the bed and it appears the hinge has detached on one side. I guess it was not up to the stress of the extra weight. I now store my laundry baskets in the basement storage.

Has anyone else had this issue, and if so, how was it addressed? There must be some way to make things sturdier where the hinge joins.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 09:33 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Your mattress is probably 8" thick and the hinge should be at least that same distance or more from the wall. Some trailers have the hinge only 3" from the wall thus not giving the mattress anywhere to go when lifted and either causing hinge failure or ripping the frame from the wall.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 10:37 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneoak View Post
We bought a new mattress before we left on our trip west. It is a good mattress, and as such, is quite a bit heavier than the one we replaced. I stored the laundry baskets under the bed and once a day would lift the bed to put the soiled items into the baskets and would do laundry when they were full.

This morning I lifted the bed and it appears the hinge has detached on one side. I guess it was not up to the stress of the extra weight. I now store my laundry baskets in the basement storage.

Has anyone else had this issue, and if so, how was it addressed? There must be some way to make things sturdier where the hinge joins.

I replaced the existing strut and added a second for better support. Here's the supports I bought:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I over-did it a bit since it takes a bit of force to put it back down, but two years later it works like a champ.

Since brace has probably stripped out the screw holes from the weight, simply relocate both struts. Make sure the are symmetrically (same location each side) installed.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 07:44 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Thanks guys. We will look into a repair when we get home.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:31 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Diito: this is common problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Your mattress is probably 8" thick and the hinge should be at least that same distance or more from the wall. Some trailers have the hinge only 3" from the wall thus not giving the mattress anywhere to go when lifted and either causing hinge failure or ripping the frame from the wall.
I agree with Harley, the same happened to us. After repairs we now pull the mattress toward the foot each time we lift the pallet.
There are several Posts on repairing the hinge area and beefing it up.