Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2021, 01:24 PM   #1
Site Team

New sealant

Tried a different approach to sealing the skylights and vent on the roof.

Instead of using self leveling caulk I used a product for EPDM roofs.
I masked off the skylights and vents and painted the product on with a paintbrush. It's thick but flowed into the cracks and crevices easily.
It's should last a long time and is said to be very flexible.

It's a little expensive ($90/gal) and I only used about a quart. I may reseal next year since the product has only a 2 year shelf light when opened.

It can also be rolled on to reseal the whole roof.

https://www.epdmcoatings.com/

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 01:55 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Very interesting product, looks like a lot easier to use than self leveing caulk. Thanks Mark.
Old 10-01-2021, 02:57 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

How long does it last on your roof? What is the expected lifespan once applied?
BOPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 05:44 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOPO View Post
How long does it last on your roof? What is the expected lifespan once applied?
According to the website it last up to 30 years.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Old 10-02-2021, 02:53 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

What you got there is Flex seal. you can get that in quart cans at some of the big box stores.
Old 10-02-2021, 11:31 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrizz View Post
What you got there is Flex seal. you can get that in quart cans at some of the big box stores.
No, they are not the same. This BUTYL LIQUID RUBBER is made for EPDM roofs. It contains the same products used in the manufacturing of EPDM roofing, so it is very compatible.

Flex seal is a petroleum based product.
It contains Crumb Rubber, Petroleum Asphalt and
Petroleum Distillates; which should never be used on a EPDM roof.

IMHO, Flex Seal is not a product I would use on an RV.

Old 10-02-2021, 12:01 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Well, you done forced me to go do research... And you are 100% correct.
I always thought that the flex seal WAS butyl. The SDS sheet says otherwise. Glad I didn't do something foolish and put it on my roof.
Old 10-02-2021, 06:17 PM   #8
Site Team

Another thing about this sealant. If you accidently drop your screwdriver into the gallon pail, it puts a nice rubber grip on the screwdriver.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 244376171_1248538318903973_8289296261027549804_n (2).jpg (107.3 KB, 13 views)

Old 10-03-2021, 04:39 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Well Mark54, you got me thinking and I took a little look at this product. I came across this https://www.rvroofmagic.com/index.php on there website and appears to be the product to use for RV roofs and has a 10 year warranty.

I did not get into the chemical structure of the two products and how they differ. The rvroofmagic looks like it can be used to coat the whole roof and needs two coats. There is a description on how to mark of 6 x 8' grids on the roof and each takes one gallon to complete. Looks like a few gallons would be needed to do the whole roof but still cheaper than having to replace everything new.

I took a peak at the top of my trailer and noticed that where my front cap meets the roof there is a putty type of caulking used in the joint. The caulk has some cracks in it and I was wondering if your product would be a good choice for this job.

Now the questions: Did the product you use meant for just patch jobs? Did you have to remove the old caulking before you painted the butyl rubber on?
Old 10-03-2021, 06:19 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakherder View Post
I took a peak at the top of my trailer and noticed that where my front cap meets the roof there is a putty type of caulking used in the joint. The caulk has some cracks in it and I was wondering if your product would be a good choice for this job.

Now the questions: Did the product you use meant for just patch jobs? Did you have to remove the old caulking before you painted the butyl rubber on?
I cleaned the old caulk with simple green and a brush and I did not remove any of the old caulk. I went right over the cracked caulk. It flowed into the cracks and leveled itself off nicely. Dried to the touch in about 4 hours. Went back up to check it out and it looks really good.

This product can also be used over the whole roof.

Old 10-03-2021, 07:07 PM   #11
Family Vacation Member

So clearly this product is compatible with EPDM roofs. I wonder about the compatibility with TPO roofs. The products used for each roof type are generally not interchangeable as I understand it

Tony & Lynne
Whidbey Island, WA
2021 Sunset Trail SuperLite SS212RB
2019 Ford F-350 FX-4 Crew cab, 6.2L gas
Tonyg2724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 07:28 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyg2724 View Post
So clearly this product is compatible with EPDM roofs. I wonder about the compatibility with TPO roofs. The products used for each roof type are generally not interchangeable as I understand it

According to the manufacturers website, this is what they say about TPO roofs.

TPO-Must be aged five years. Bonding primer required (call for details).
TPO must be cleaned with our Roof Protect
TPO must have remaining service life
Surface must be dry and a flash coat is needed. Any of these could cause the material to blister/wrinkle
TPO scrim must not be visible throughout the field of the roof

Old 10-09-2021, 09:49 PM   #13
Family Vacation Member

How can you tell which type of roof you have?
Dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 09:55 PM   #14
Site Team

Found this on the internet:

Quote:
It’s important you know what type of RV roof you have so you can properly clean and maintain the roof. For the most part there are two categories RV synthetic roofs fall into:

1) Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer or EPDM

2) Thermal Poly Olefin or TPO.

You may have heard various techniques for determining the type of rubber roof you have, but you need a sure-fire method, so there are no questions left unanswered.

You should be able to locate this information in the RV owner’s manual. If not, the easiest method I know is to go inside the RV and locate an overhead roof vent. Using the proper type screwdriver remove the vent trim ring. Most RV manufacturers will leave a section of the roofing material stapled to the inside of each side of the framed vent opening. If possible remove a staple so you can look at both sides of the roofing material. If one side is a white or a dove color and the other side is black it is EPDM. If the roofing material is all one color, top and bottom, it is TPO. Some TPO roofing has a fleece backing too, but the thing to remember is if the roofing material is all one color it is TPO.

If your RV roofing is EPDM, and you want to make repairs or touch-up the sealants you can use Dicor lap sealant.

If your RV roofing is TPO you need to do a bit more research prior to using any sealants. Beginning in 2011 new forms of TPO roofing entered the RV marketplace. Basically if the TPO roofing was manufactured in 2010 or earlier or if it has a fleece backing you can use Dicor lap sealant for repairs and resealing. If the TPO roofing was manufactured in 2011 or later, or if it does not have a fleece backing you need to use the Dicor Ultra Sealant System for resealing and repairs.