Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2011, 06:21 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

Here are a few pictures of the sofa I built for our 32MK. Had to build it in 3 pieces to fit behind the facia of both slideouts. I also had to relocate the heater vent. I'm still not sure what I will do to modify or replace the side valances on the back window.

This shows the storage below the seat cushion which is 34.5 x 29.5 x 15 inches and the storage behind the back cushion which is 6 inches deep at the bottom and 4 inches deep at the top.

Clearance to the carpet of the entertainment slideout is less than 1/4 inch.

Each side table has two lids that are hinged and removable as the next two pics show.

This sofa is 6ft long so I can lay down while watching TV. The factory sofa has been removed and the recliners now face directly at the TV which is so much better. And now the recliners do not have to be repositioned to close the slideouts, the only thing that has to move are the ottomans.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:39 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

Nice Work!!!

https://i508.photobucket.com/albums/s325/onlyrj/rv-1.jpg
onlyrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:08 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Great work and great photos.
'04 Dodge 2500 Quadcab CTD
gball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:21 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Like to see nice work.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:24 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

I like the fact that you don't have to move and tie down the recliners to close the slides and you can comfortably watch TV from them. Nice job, well done!

https://www.runnerduck.com/images/dev...andtrailer.jpg

KennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 04:51 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Good job on the upholstery and some really good storage there now. I like that you can lie down, I don't know why the manufacturers of rv furniture don't make longer sofas. I have often thought that when my sofa wears out I will ask hubby to just build a bench that fits end to end in the slide and place upholstered foam on top that way we would have a comfy extra bed or a place to comfortably just lounge and stretch out and read and watch TV.
Right now with our sofa it really is only comfortable for one person sitting wedged in the corner on an angle to watch TV (usually hubby) and after a while he contorts his 6'1" frame with legs in the air to try and lie down to nap or watch TV. I use one of the recliners but nobody sits in the other recliner as it also is not in an ideal position, I guess we should just remove it but if we were to get company we would miss it
Actually truth be told I preferred the old style jack knife sofa we used to have in our old Prairie Schooner, it had no arms and it was just a quick jerking movement or lifting up of the front of the sofa and it would fall flat to form a double bed which was way more user friendly than an uncomfortable sofa bed that we will probably never use.
albianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 04:58 AM   #7
New Camper

I did the same type of modification to my 30SK Cruiser. The only problem I had was the distance behind the dining room slide and the rear of the unit wasn't long enough to get a wide enough seat the was comfortable. The solution I came up with is I hinged the bench tops. Nowbefore I retract the slides I first lift the bench tops folding them against the back rest. I also have to remove the cushions. It works great and is long enough and wide enough for my grandkids to sleep on.

2008 F-350 6.4 4X4

2009 Cruiser 30SK
trentrides is offline   Reply With Quote