Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2010, 08:52 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

The factory wardrobe latch broke earlier this year. So I bought the black SEA latch. First time I used it, the tabs on the lever broke. Didn’t like any of the other solutions I could find on the forums, so started thinking. My solution uses a modified hinge and magnet. When not in use, the magnet holds the latch closed and it only sticks out 3/8 of an inch vs. 1-1/2 inches for both of the other latches. Nothing to catch clothes or body parts.

I used a window shutter hinge (Lowes, pkg of 4 less than $5), cut most of the angle off, leaving a small lip. Also, pulled the hinge pin and reversed the other side of the hinge. Then attached a flat magnet just below the lip using two pop rivets and finally dipped it in rubber coating. The first picture shows the stock hinge, modified hinge and completed latch. The second picture shows the installed latch.

When it is time to latch the wardrobe door, all that is needed is to open the hinge and then close the door. The magnet automatically closes the latch and the lip captures the edge of the door. The attached video clip shows the operation.

Now I need to fill the old screw holes and try to repair the damage to the door frame from the original latch.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:01 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Larry,

I have only one word for you, "PATENT"! Like now!
https://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...ckcropped2.jpg
BDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:07 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Our trailer is new so the latch still works but I love your idea as I find the existing latch on 2011 30SKP really difficult to open.

Thank you so much for including the video too....what a great idea:-)

orchid_57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 01:48 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

Great Idea.

Plus now we can start a new series of requests. Instead of pictures, we need anyone making a modification to record doing it and post it . If I could just get the DW to hold the camera while I am working.

08 Ford F350 SRW LB SuperDuty</font>
ggates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:13 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Since I had two extra hinges, I'm trying out another type of magnet. The kind used for name badges with two round magnets on a thin metal plate. EZ to drill a hole in the plate and then use a single pop rivet to attach it to the hinge. Took less than an hour to make them today. Waiting for the rubber coating to dry so I can see if they automatically latch as well as the other magnets.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote