Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2016, 09:30 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Newer Sunset Trail Interior LED Lights

Does anyone know the brand/model for newer Sunset Trail interior LED light fixtures? I'm looking to replace some of the bulbs with a softer/warmer LED bulb if I can find one. The reading light above our heads while we are laying in bed is well.... More suited for runway lights at O'hare than a reading light. The first time I turned that thing on at night to read before going to bed I swear someone should have cued the angelic music sounds because I swear that it could have only been God to emit that much brightness.

Our only hack now is cutting a "tanish" piece of cloth doubled up to filter the light to give a similar effect of a soft reading light.

Plus I'm not sure how to remove the cover without damaging it, so finding the manufacturer would help me figure that one out.

-Tim

TV: 2015 F-150 XLT Crew Cab 3.5L Eco 4x4 Max Tow
TT: 2017 26BB
SB: Catalina 22
NoodlesWIU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 10:05 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I purchased -Warm White T/10/921/194 RV Trailer 42-SMD 12 V Backup Reverse LED Light Bulbs from EBay. Got 10 for $6.99.. They work perfect for over the bed/over the couch and anywhere you don't want really bright lights. Bright enough for reading but it's not like a runway light. Mine are the 921 so you would just need to remove a bulb and see what size you have. I was Leary about getting these because they said backup reverse but they also said RV Trailer. We really like them.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 10:24 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesWIU View Post
Does anyone know the brand/model for newer Sunset Trail interior LED light fixtures? I'm looking to replace some of the bulbs with a softer/warmer LED bulb if I can find one. The reading light above our heads while we are laying in bed is well.... More suited for runway lights at O'hare than a reading light. The first time I turned that thing on at night to read before going to bed I swear someone should have cued the angelic music sounds because I swear that it could have only been God to emit that much brightness.

Our only hack now is cutting a "tanish" piece of cloth doubled up to filter the light to give a similar effect of a soft reading light.

Plus I'm not sure how to remove the cover without damaging it, so finding the manufacturer would help me figure that one out.
I hope I'm not the bearer of bad news, but we have a 2016 ST32BH and the light fixtures do not have replaceable bulbs. Rather, there is an integrated circuit board with the bulbs fused.

You can pop the lens off to check. I had the same issue with the bed light burning my cornea's when reading so I had a similar hack, I put paper inside the lens to filter the light.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 11:07 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Mark, how does the lens pop off? I couldn't quite see a way to open them up so I was fearful to damage it. Any advice would be great.

-Tim

TV: 2015 F-150 XLT Crew Cab 3.5L Eco 4x4 Max Tow
TT: 2017 26BB
SB: Catalina 22
NoodlesWIU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 11:53 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

i just put my fingernail in the small gap between the lens and the base and pulled down. I'll try and post a few pix after I get home to show you.

Old 08-23-2016, 03:24 PM   #6
New Camper

We have a 2017 Sunset Trail ST310RL , you are right, light above bed is very bright . Went to Wally World and bought 2 night lites to plug in above bed , problem solved. Now we have our own lites !!!
Old 08-24-2016, 01:42 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

If I may jump in here, I have a 2015 ST240BH and would also like to convert to LED's. The covers are easy to remove, but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to remove the bulb!

Here's a photo, maybe someone knows how and can explain it to me? It seems like the white plug should simply pop out of the socket when depressing the white tab but it doesn't, unless more force is required that I was willing to use before checking with someone. Or, does the glass bulb pull out from the white socket? I sure do not want to break anything! Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0344.jpg (131.7 KB, 19 views)
"Life is what happens while you're busy making plans"
smw57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 01:54 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by smw57 View Post
If I may jump in here, I have a 2015 ST240BH and would also like to convert to LED's. The covers are easy to remove, but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to remove the bulb!

Here's a photo, maybe someone knows how and can explain it to me? It seems like the white plug should simply pop out of the socket when depressing the white tab but it doesn't, unless more force is required that I was willing to use before checking with someone. Or, does the glass bulb pull out from the white socket? I sure do not want to break anything! Thanks!
First, make sure the bulb is cool. They get really hot when left on for more than a few minutes. Gently grasp the bulb and pull it out. There is no base for the bulb, the glass tapers and the two contacts come out of the vacuum tube and wrap around. Below is a photo of the bulb removed.

Also, there are several threads on the forum for LED replacement bulbs, just search. For what it's worth I upgraded my last trailer and posted links on the forum. Many folks had good luck with ordering from Amazon. I bought cheap knockoffs from China direct and paid less than $1.25 a bulb, but you get what you pay for. They started to heat up and the adhesive in the based was dripping on the light cover..yuck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenHunter_30 Aug. 24 15.53.jpg (3.2 KB, 177 views)

Old 08-25-2016, 11:04 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

So did some digging and found the newer version of the initial light set I bought from Amazon a few years ago before I went El-Cheapo route..those original bulbs are still going strong. These are the newer version, have a very good rating are are cheaper than what I paid

https://www.amazon.com/24-3528-Bulb-...8WS48WY8G2ST4G

Old 08-27-2016, 11:58 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

I went to the hardware store and bought a can of plasti-dip to coat the lens. It's in an aerosol can. After a few coats I put the lens back on and it was the perfect brightness. I can't remember if I posted a picture in my mod thread. I will post another pic. This seemed to be the simplest/cheapest way to solve the problem of our bed feeling like a tanning booth. I was very happy with how it came out. Our bulbs weren't removable.
BMVillines is offline   Reply With Quote