Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2018, 08:39 AM   #1
Seasonal Camper

One man’s continuing quest for space.

When we bought Harvey, I knew we had an entry level travel trailer with oodles of opportunity to make a basically good product great.

Having never been a big fan of stuffing the shore power cord into a hole in the side, I replaced that in short order with a 'Marinco' connector that sealed up any possible point for bugs and rodents to gain access to the inside.
http://www.crossroadsowners.com/foru...ded-13354.html

This left a roughly three cubic feet space under the pantry where the cord used to live.

Since it was still where the power came in, I used just under half that space to mount a hardwired ‘Surge Guard’ protection system, and while it was all open, I added a power outlet to use when sitting at the dinette.

Installed....SURGE GUARD 35530 30amp unit
The other half was just begging to be used as a cupboard, and since our recent four legged acquisition, this would provide ideal storage for her consumables.

The factory blanking panel came off readily with a wood block and mallet to pop the staples.

This panel was trimmed to fit the opening and laminated to a piece of ½” ply to form the door.

Inside on the left, an interior wall from ⅛” door skin separates the space containing the surge protector from the new cupboard. A length of 1” x 3” to mount the soft close hinges, and a door stop on the right of the opening completes to project.

This simple enhancement added nearly two cubic feet of easily useable storage in the main cabin area. It took a couple of hours to complete, and using off cuts cost under $20.00 ($11 of=which were the concealed hinges and door knob).

The purists will argue that what I gained inside by relocating the shore power cord I lost in outside storage. But for my money, it was well worth the effort, and if you, like me, are interested in space, this might be something to consider
Biggles607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 11:38 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Very nice. I never liked those push in cords. Such a waste of space. I’m glad my new 5er didn’t have that.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 03:13 PM   #3
Seasonal Camper

Thanks Papa-T,

I have never figured out why detachable power cords are not standard equipment. Who in all seriousness wants to wrestle 25' of potentially wet and muddy 30amp power cable into the interior of their coach?

Your comments are always much appreciated.

Much appreciated.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:02 PM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Great job, looks really nice.

SeanRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:33 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Thanks for your kind words Sean.

Best regards
Old 07-13-2018, 04:52 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Wow, Looks great! Nice Craftsmanship!

I agree with everyone, I have no idea why they still use those push in cords, really doesn't make alot of sense.
priest6479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 09:22 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Great job Biggles! I had never seen an inside cord storage. I agree with you...bad idea.
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:34 AM   #8
Site Team

Just MY OPINION but I like my self storing electric cord. If I only need 3 feet to reach the box it is not all on the ground just pull out 3 feet. As for it getting wet or muddy I always wipe it down when it goes in the hatch. If I need 3 feet or all 25 with the detachable cord it is all on the ground to get muddy or wet so it has to also be cleaned to store. And speaking of that where do you store it? Just seems you gain storage one place and loose it some where else. On my camper the cord goes under the tv cabinet next to the converter. That space for us would not make very good storage.
As stated this is just my opinion of the electric hose as my niece calls them.

MY OPINION YOURS WILL VERY!!!
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote