Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2021, 05:03 PM   #1
Full Time Camper

Outside led lighting. (Best)?

Finally, pulled out the second set of strip lights from my awning. Even though I have a kitchen slide I plan to put led lights on the side of my camper. Even though the small slide will block some of the light. I’ve been searching for the best, lighting with warranty. I did find Boogey lights that have a 3 year warranty. Anyone have any experience with them or know a better set of 16’ lights. Thanks

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 09:56 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

I added strip lighting to the side of camper 2 yrs ago. I wanted something waterproof and that'll last a while so I did my own thing and had to try a few different methods before I got it to work properly. Trial and error but works perfectly now. first my LED strip is the silicone encased strip (,https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) so I needed these aluminum/crystal channels ( thttps://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07FPBRXFY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) to attach the led stripe to side using 3M heavy duty double sided tape. First I went with the remote control system as it was easiest and of course being made in China lasted 10 minutes so I then ran a 4stran wire and controller into the outside kitchen and again made in china and if I selected blue lights 10 minutes later they were pink or something. So I found this Touchstar manual controller that works perfectly {https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B008GY6WM2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1} My method and system might not work for everyone as i was lucky to be able to steal power from fridge, and since I have installed cooling fans for the fridge at upper-vent, this also gives me easy access above fridge through upper vent, which also allowed easy access over to the outside kitchen for the controller. Probably took me a couple days when I did this as I now remember I thought Silicone would work to attach the channels to the side of trailer. That didn't work and double sided tape is the king there. Sorry I may have gotten a bit off track with boogey lights but some of those supposeably waterproof led's are are not of the same waterproof value of IP68 as those I show above. AND if my LED's burn out, 10 minutes later I can have another strip back in that channel.
Old 08-08-2021, 11:28 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Thanks for the reply. I already have a two wire red/black from inside awning switch that comes out and goes up the awning arm. I think I only want one color (amber) and from what I’ve researched the Boogey leds are sealed and their the only ones I can find with a three year warranty on the ones I’m looking at.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Old 08-08-2021, 11:53 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

I only wanted the one color to, (blue.) Just a suggestion but when you install your system if at all possible consider a dimmer switch. Those LED's are quite bright. I'd say I usually tone mine down to about half strength, Momma Bear complains, or I should say she ''says'' they bother her eyes when on bright. I actually prefer them toned down anyways. Just another handy option, and you can probably easily add it right at your switch.
Old 08-08-2021, 02:07 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

That’s not a bad idea. I’ll look into that.

Old 08-08-2021, 04:56 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I picked these up last year. Work like a charm, and Dimmer is easy to control with the remote.
Before I decided to mount them, I bought a roll of good 3M double sided tape, only because i didn't trust the peel and stick tape that came in the kit.
I used them every day for 5 months last summer while living in the camper away from home for work, and multiple times this year, with no issues thus far.
at $15, If I need to replace them every few years, I'm ok with that.
FYI, I didn't use the AC to DC unit, I simply cut the wire off it, and tapped it into the 12v at my porch light, which was conveniently all but right up against the bottom of my awning.
Old 08-09-2021, 02:51 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Ordered the Boogey lights today with a 10% Law Enforcement discount.

Old 08-15-2021, 12:46 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

UPDATE: Got my Boogey lights installed. Three year warranty. Stayed with a single color (Amber). Same color as my rope lights that go around my 9x18 mat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5F0E9C7A-428A-46BE-A9AA-D735790842C2.jpg (237.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg AD3F8EC0-D2D5-4529-8409-576A2BB6706C.jpg (178.5 KB, 6 views)

Old 08-21-2021, 05:29 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

We’ll the picture looks more like orange lights but they are amber.