Dearly beloved is always looking for extra and more efficient ways to utilize space in 'Harvey', and being an avid handyman I'm always willing to oblige.
We were browsing at our local CW and found a coach with a similar floorplan to ours from another manufacturer.
The bathroom was almost identical with one exception. It had an eye level cupboard, triangular in plan form, directly over the commode. Cool, perfect for loo roll, and all the swabs and cotton balls so essential to feminine existence.
It was fitted into the right angle corner with two doors hinged on either side. To my surprise it does not interfere in the slightest with use of the commode or when drying off after a shower.
After examining 'Harvey's' walls, I was fortunate to find a stud about 15" each side of the corner, meaning I had ample structure to screw into once the cabinet was built, and I wouldn't have to resort to cavity fixings.
I opted for a simple lightweight construction, and built two triangular frames from 1" x 2" clear pine. I figured a top and back sides were not necessary which of course saves on weight. The right angle corners fit tight into the corner where the walls meet, and the hypotenuse is where the front face and door gets hung.
The front face is 1" x 3" and 1" x 2" clear pine, glued to the two triangular frames, and planed to create a pleasing angle at the sides.
The cupboard floor which is flush with the top edge of the front lower frame opening is from 1/8" doorskin I had lying about my woodshop.
I designed the cabinet to have only one door hinged at the top for simplicity. It is constructed from four lengths of 1" x 3" with mitered corner joints. With my router I cut an ogee bead on both front sides of the door pieces, and a 1/4" rabbet on the rear to accept the center panel before assembling it.
Once all the glue had dried, the cabinet and door assemblies were sanded smooth and stained with light walnut to match all the existing woodwork in Harvey.
Four coats of satin polyurethane flatted between each coat, and the result is a silky smooth cabinet quality finish.
The hinges and handle came from Home Depot, and the door stay I had left over from a bunch I ordered on ebay for the rest of Harvey's top cabinet doors.
Installation was straightforward with four 1 3/4" stainless screws into the aforementioned studs.
Some leftover molding, similarly stained and varnished completed the project.
Cost: Less than $50.00
Time: 6 hours, ish.
Result: One Very Very happy wife.