Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2013, 08:12 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Since I'm always trying to conserve battery power as much as possible, I installed a socket for my electric jack connected to the trailer battery instead of directly connecting it. It's the same type that's used on the vehicle so I can use the tow vehicle battery to power the jack when necessary. The vehicle is a 30 amp circuit and the jack uses less than 20 amps (with a 20 amp fuse) so if a fuse does go, the 20 amp will go first. No problems yet. It's mounted pointing down to the plate holding the propane tanks, so it's up out of the way.

JimHanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:25 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I like your creativity here. One question tho...you indicate that you want to conserve battery power but that's assuming the jacks draw amperage even when not used? Am I reading that correctly or am I missing something in the translation?

Also, if the jacks are too low to connect to the truck, can you back up far enough to at least hook up the power cord to raise the trailer?

I like the idea, just not fully aware of its benefits. Can you clarify? Thx.

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:50 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimHanus View Post
Since I'm always trying to conserve battery power as much as possible, I installed a socket for my electric jack connected to the trailer battery instead of directly connecting it. It's the same type that's used on the vehicle so I can use the tow vehicle battery to power the jack when necessary. The vehicle is a 30 amp circuit and the jack uses less than 20 amps (with a 20 amp fuse) so if a fuse does go, the 20 amp will go first. No problems yet. It's mounted pointing down to the plate holding the propane tanks, so it's up out of the way.
Realize that every time you make a connection in a circuit you have a voltage drop across the connection. In this case you added 3 connections. One in each side of the plug and then the plug itself. To me that's 3 more places to cause a problem.
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:22 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

We always dry camp, so any time I can save a few amps in my trailer batteries I will by plugging in directly to the tow vehicle plug. (Trailer batteries always seem to run low in the middle of the night). Yes I left the wires long enough to plug into the tow vehicle before hooking up. Yes, I'm sure there is a voltage drop across the connections, but do I care, no. If I ever had a problem with the 2 wires not making a connection, all the wiring is exposed and I could always cut them and splice together if necessary. It works fine for my needs.
I should also mention that I've never used a generator until this year, so any little bit extra I could get out of my batteries helped. We could go 7-8 days on 2 Lifeline AGM batteries and always came home with some power left.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:35 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

http://www.crossroadsowners.com/foru...&pictureid=158

Here's what I've done to help our dry camping. Two commercial AGM 12v batteries in parallel.

Bob and Better Half

Reese 16k slider
Old 02-04-2014, 03:46 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2millers View Post
http://www.crossroadsowners.com/foru...&pictureid=158

Here's what I've done to help our dry camping. Two commercial AGM 12v batteries in parallel.
That should work great. I really like the AGM batteries. I bought one several years ago for the boat. I never charge it. Serves double duty as a starter battery for the outboard and trolling motor. I do run it during the hunting season but sits in the boat the rest of the winter. Fires the motor right up come spring.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:37 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim D View Post
That should work great. I really like the AGM batteries. I bought one several years ago for the boat. I never charge it. Serves double duty as a starter battery for the outboard and trolling motor. I do run it during the hunting season but sits in the boat the rest of the winter. Fires the motor right up come spring.
Thanks Tim,

Yes, these guys are great. Met a guy who worked in the computer industry and bought these very reasonably.

They weigh 105 lbs each vs a standard group 27 battery of about 50 lbs. lots of lead in these.

I can go a week or more at a time virtually without loss of power. Not a normal setup for most but take advantage when opportunity knocks.

Bob and Better Half

Reese 16k slider
Old 02-05-2014, 07:02 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

The only downside is they are expensive. I think I paid around $180 for mine several years ago. It holds a charge. Like I said, I never charge it. I run to my spot and can run the trolling motor all day. The only charging is when I run the outboard.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote