Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2013, 04:14 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Just purchased a new 2014 33BD. Upgraded from a Jayco popup. Last weekend we did a local shakedown trip to be sure there were no problems, and so far we are very happy with our trialer. I had a 2" receiver welded to the frame of my Jayco for a bike rack and it worked very well. I am considering doing the same on my Sunset trail for a dual purpose of either a bike rack or a generator platform (generator less than 200 lbs.). Has anyone done this on a Sunset Travel Trailer? Have there been any problems. Does anyone have a generator on the tongue of the trailer? I have considered the reduction of tongue weight if a genereator is carried on the back end, and I do not think it will be a problem after my wife loads the area under the front Queen bed. In fact it may be necessary to reduce tongue weight the way she packs. I am towing with a Ford F150 and an Equilizer hitch. Purchased our trailer in MI and towed it home to MN 2 weeks ago. I installed firestone airbags in my TV before picking the trailer up, but I don't think it was necessary. My Ford tows this trailer very well. Only had noticable sway in 25 knot winds over 65 mph. I just slowed down to about 60 and it towed fine in the high winds. Couple of other mods I am condsidering is a battery cutoff mounted in the front stowage area, and a master switch for slide power and tongue jack/stabilizer jacks. Anyone else do any of these electical mods? Any advice would be appreciated.

Happy Camping
b727capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:10 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

If you have a receiver welded on by anyone other than Lippert, I'm assuming they provided the frame, it will void your frame warranty. You had better check with them before you do ANYTHING that may void this part of your warranty. I had a 2" receiver put on the front end of my Chev 2500 for use in carrying a bike rack. It works great except I do remove the bike seats so they don't block any vision sight lines.

Bruce
bandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:07 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Here is what i did for my battery shut off and 2nd battery . if you have 2 #24 batteries they can be placed beside each other on the tongue . I had a # 27 , so needed to put the 2nd batt sideways.

Also added a shelf in front storage(last pic)

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:45 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

I added a Curt universal hitch to my 5verhttp://www.amazon.com/Curt-Manufacturing-13703-Class-Receiver/dp/B0033WNJV4

I see the price has gone up I only paid 268.00 for it. It was fairly easy to install and no welding was needed. The only thing I had to do was torch off part of the brackets that attach to the fame to make a better fit.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new rig.

Chris & Karen- Heyworth, Illinois
2009 CF32BL pulled by a 2011 RAM 2500 CTD 4x4
PullRite Superglide 18K hitch
2015stats:
Nights: 28
Miles: 3245
longhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:41 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhauler
I added a Curt universal hitch to my 5verhttp://www.amazon.com/Curt-Manufacturing-13703-Class-Receiver/dp/B0033WNJV4

I see the price has gone up I only paid 268.00 for it. It was fairly easy to install and no welding was needed. The only thing I had to do was torch off part of the brackets that attach to the fame to make a better fit.

Purchased the same for mine - have not installed it yet. Have you had any clearance issues with it. I will try to get it as close to the bumper as I can.

The box frame that the bumper mount is welded to seems a bit "thin". Do you do any upgrade on yours?Edited by: NorskeNY

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:41 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

No I haven't had any clearance issues. I did have to use a torch to notch out the brackets that attach to the the frame to get it right under the bumper. I think the hardest part was drilling the holes to attach it. The hitch is pretty heavy so you will want some help to make it easier. After install seems very solid. More then enough to hold bikes or my 150lb generator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorskeNY

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhauler

Purchased the same for mine - have not installed it yet. Have you had any clearance issues with it. I will try to get it as close to the bumper as I can.

The box frame that the bumper mount is welded to seems a bit "thin". Do you do any upgrade on yours?

Chris & Karen- Heyworth, Illinois
2009 CF32BL pulled by a 2011 RAM 2500 CTD 4x4
PullRite Superglide 18K hitch
2015stats:
Nights: 28
Miles: 3245
longhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:14 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Longhauler - thanks for the info.

Was thinking I would have to modify the brackets too. The brackets are pretty solid. I'll have to purchase some good drill bits for drilling the bolt holes.

Like you - I'll only use it to carry bikes and a generator a few times during the year.
Edited by: NorskeNY

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:07 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Old 05-08-2013, 03:15 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

Thanks for the ideas. I spoke with the shop that welded the receiver on my popup and they will install it for $320. I am really not concerned with the warranty, it is only a year. The shop I am having do the work has been in business for 35 years and is very reputable. They suggested if I decide to go with the platform for the generator, they will modify it to add a 2nd receiver above the first, so the bikes would be over the generator platform if I decide to carry both. I could save a few bucks and add the bolt on hitch, but I don't think a bunch of drilling is worth it.

Nice mod on the battery switch. I have also considered adding a 2nd battery. I am leaning towards mounting the switch inside the locked storage compartment to prevent tampering.

We have our first trip planned for Memorial weekend, and we are really looking forward to it.

Happy Camping
Chuck