Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2010, 06:47 AM   #1
Seasonal Camper

I am going to install a rear view camera on my 5er and wondered if anyone had installed one and if so do you have a recommendation on what to buy? I also have removed the underbelly fabric and am replacing it with coroplast so I am taking lots of photos and will post them when the projects are finished. I will say it is quite interesting looking under the 5er.
Lonnie

04 2500 Hemi Ram Quad Cab
Chuck N. Wined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 07:33 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Lonnie, what are the advantages to going with the coroplast? How difficult do you think it will be to install? Does it go up in sections? Thanks. Looking forward to the photos.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:44 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I'll be looking for your pictures because I would like to do this also.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 01:55 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemac377
Lonnie, what are the advantages to going with the coroplast?
That's what I have been wondering also.
Some of you other guys that have done this-----------why did you do it??

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:23 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

FWIW, I bought a Peak brand wireless back up camera to put into my 30SK.

I attached inside the rear window with an old GPS suction cup mount I had laying around and just run the cable up the floor. I bought an extension cable from Peak that I use to extend the sending unit into the basement storage area. Just unplug and remove it when set up.

I have heard that these sometimes don't last well due to them being designed for use only with the back up lights so I wired mine into the clearance light circuit and put a "master" on/off switch in the basement. I can now turn it on by turning on the parking lights and if I am going to be running at night I can turn it off with the master.

So far it works great for peaking behind to make sure my motorcycle is still secure on the trailer (double tow). I do not use it for backing into a site, that is what the mirrors are for.l

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
BipeFlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:47 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

I was looking at this unit, but I can't vouch for it, as I haven't gotten around to buying one.

http://www.navsgo.com/GO790RV_TechnicalFeatures.html

However, for only $330 bucks or so, you get a combination GPS, MP3 player, and a back up camera. They have both wired and wireless camera options. It's a 7" screen, too.

Hard to go wrong for that price.

Let us know how you like whatever you end up with.

Good luck!

Davefitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 02:18 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

That's what I have been wondering also.
Some of you other guys that have done this-----------why did you do it??

I hit a tire tread in Mississippi last year couldn't go right or left just had to go over it.Put a hole in the cloth underlining,as well as tearing up the skirting when it ejected.We had a small tear before as well,just gorilla taped them at the time but felt like it was not that good of protection for the underside of the trailer.I can remove an individual panel of the coroplast on the trailer to access things below.We have not built access points for the slide motors or the gate valves on the waste water tanks although that is in the works.If I needed to get in there, it would be about 15minutes to access them right now by removing a coroplast panel.Then there is just the plain old adventure factor to go under there and straighten out all the wiring and fully understand how everything is plumbed.We added some extra insulation while we were under there however it has not been that cold since we finished the project to tell whether it has made a difference.Oh by the way it does look real pretty when you look under there.However I had to defer to someone of the more delicate persuasion on the color of caulk around the dump pipes and such as to what would be more aesthetically pleasing.
Edited by: mapachoo

2019 Volante 240RL
mapachoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:34 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck N. Wined
I am going to install a rear view camera on my 5er and wondered if anyone had installed one and if so do you have a recommendation on what to buy? I also have removed the underbelly fabric and am replacing it with coroplast so I am taking lots of photos and will post them when the projects are finished. I will say it is quite interesting looking under the 5er.

Lonnie

While many will recommend a cheap wireless rearview system, my recommendation is to go for the more expensive hardwired system because you get what you pay for.Asfor ideas regarding the installation of the system, have a look at my system installation.

http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...view%20Camera/

Also looking forward to seeing pictures of your coroplast underbelly mod.
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 05:27 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Yahoo to KHUNLINDA2003
I am looking to install a camera on the stern of my boat. It is 53 feet long and 14.5 feet wide so when docking you can't see all the way to the stern. What brand of hardwired camera do you have and where can I get one?

2003 Beaver Marquis

formerly 2004 Silverado

two ragdolls, Flash and Bandit
KHUNLINDA2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:03 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHUNLINDA2003
I am looking to install a camera on the stern of my boat. It is 53 feet long and 14.5 feet wide so when docking you can't see all the way to the stern. What brand of hardwired camera do you have and where can I get one?

I purchased my rearview camera system from a Canadian vender. You may want to use a US vendor. I've attached link to the vender that I dealt with. His site definitely will have a suggestion for your situation. http://www.rearviewcamera.net/carter...pGuide2005.htm
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:37 AM   #11
Seasonal Camper

This is the company I ended up ordering from. RoscoThey were very helpful when I spoke with them on the phone. I bought the STSK7465 kit and the extension cable to run from the monitor to the bed of the truck. Now all I have to do is wait!I looked at a lot of different websites before I decided.

I removed the fabric underbelly covering for the following reasons... I wanted to run the cable for the camera through the underbelly so I would have a seamless and protected installation. I wanted to check on a possible water leak from my freshwater tank. (turns out there is no leak- just water that runs along the frame and drips down following a rain) I wanted to see where the sensors are located on the holding tanks. I wanted to know where everything was under there in case I have any problems in the future. And, I had too much free time!

I am replacing the fabric with coroplast so I can have easy access should I have any future problems that would necessitate dropping the underbelly. I also think that the coroplast would better protect the underbelly from impact with road "debris" than the fabric would. I don't know this for certain but it certainly seems like it would. The coroplast will allow me create an access door to anything should I never need it by simply cutting 3 sides of a square out and leaving the 4th side as a "hinge". when I am done I could use gorilla tape to close it up. I did have trouble locating coroplast until I found the coroplast website and found a local distributor. I checked all the local sign shops but they only had 4mm thickness. I was able to find 10mm and 6mm locally through a company called Sabic Polymershapes. I wanted it in black but white was all they had so that is what I got. I opted for 6mm. When I handled them side by side the 10mm seemed to sag more than the 6mm to me. I think it was because there are more "cells" in the 6mm and even though the 10mm is made with a thicker plastic the increased "cells" per inch gave the 6mm more rigidity. The 4mm is really flimsy and while it would have worked I certainly have a lot more confidence in the thicker stuff. I will be posting photos, hopefully in the next week.
Lonnie

04 2500 Hemi Ram Quad Cab
Chuck N. Wined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 02:44 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

Well, I ordered the PEAK rear view camera and extension cords from eTrailer this week.

I planned to mount the camera in the back window and run the wires up to the basement to hookup to the battery and have the transmitter as close to the truck as possible.

I am not very impressed. With the transmitter and the screen about 3 feet apart, it works ok. Moving the transmitter outside of the cab of the truck and it goes downhill fast. Move it to near the basement doors and it is even worse and stops working. Looks like I will be calling for an RMA number on Monday. Back to the drawing board.

2009 Cruiser 30SK Patriot

2008 GMC Sierra 2500

Pullrite Superglide

https://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z...dcopilot-1.jpg
LGMI_Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:52 PM   #13
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamops
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck N. Wined

Lonnie

While many will recommend a cheap wireless rearview system, my recommendation is to go for the more expensive hardwired system because you get what you pay for.Asfor ideas regarding the installation of the system, have a look at my system installation.

http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...view%20Camera/

Also looking forward to seeing pictures of your coroplast underbelly mod.

I agree with you Hamops the hardwired rearview system is far more superior than the wireless.

It takes a little more work to install, but the rewards are superior views with no interferences or lost of pictures.

Also with good example installations like you have done, it takes all the fun out of trying to figure out how to install the system.

Here is the system I have on order http://www.rearviewsafety.com/produc...ew-system.htmlShould be in some time this week and can't wait till the snow melts so I can start my installation.

Excellant work on your installation, it gave great ideas. Thanks Hamop.

Snowdogg
Old 03-23-2011, 07:52 AM   #14
Weekend Camper

I saw an ad for Iball.$135 from compant, $119 on amazon. Monitor hooks into lighter. Camera [needs 9volt battery] has swivel mount with magnet. Not sure how good. Some reviews were good, some not. Used for hitching, but some used on back of trailer for backing up.
ST29RL

https://i575.photobucket.com/albums/s...unsettrail.jpg
icefalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:02 AM   #15
Family Vacation Member

__________________________________________________ ______________________

I agree with you Hamops the hardwired rearview system is far more superior than the wireless.

It takes a little more work to install, but the rewards are superior views with no interferences or lost of pictures.

Also with good example installations like you have done, it takes all the fun out of trying to figure out how to install the system.

Here is the system I have on order http://www.rearviewsafety.com/produc...ew-system.htmlShould be in some time this week and can't wait till the snow melts so I can start my installation.

Snowdogg
__________________________________________________ ________________

Did you get your camera yet.

We just ordered one yesterday from Amazon, but it ships from rearview safety. They had a perfect rating on 24 reviews.

Captain Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:03 PM   #16
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Mike

__________________________________________________ ______________________

Snowdogg
__________________________________________________ ________________

Did you get your camera yet.

We just ordered one yesterday from Amazon, but it ships from rearview safety. They had a perfect rating on 24 reviews.

Yes I have received the camera system, but I have not set it up on my 5th yet. Waiting for the snow to melt around the 5th before installing the system.

I have bench tested the system and it looks great (night vision is very clear). Can't wait to actually hooking it up. You are not going to regret what every system you order.

Which model did you order? Quad sytem or single camera? I think the side cameras will be a big advantage when you are backing up and not being able to see the blinded side of your 5th (using mirrors)when cranked over to one side. Now you will be able to see everything by using the side cameras and the back camera and also with night vision that is another plus.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:26 PM   #17
Family Vacation Member

We ordered the single camera. I was thinking about replacing the rear view mirror with the monitor and adding a camera to the back of the truck. I hate backing in at night right now and figured anything would be an improvement.

My dad has a factory one on the back of his 32' class C with speaker. It is the bomb!

Were you going to run your wiring through the wall? I was thinking about going into the ladder then running it up the frame.

Captain Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:43 AM   #18
New Camper

I'm actually looking at installing it this way here. http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...view%20Camera/

The person that did this set up, made my job of how to wire in the system easy, with all the pictures of HOW-TO install his camera system. Got to give credit, when credit is do.

Can't wait to start on my project and i"m sure you will enjoy your system you will be installing. I will try and post pics when mine is installed, but like I said earlier, still waiting for the snow till melt, before Istart this project.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:47 AM   #19
Weekend Camper

I also have installed a rear camera. Since this topic has had a lot of views, I thought I would post my installation to give people thinking about doing this some more ideas.

My installation is a lot like Hamops (nice job Hamops). I used a cheap backup camera mounted to the license plate holder(Roadmaster VR3) that has the hardwire option.

I routed the wiring through the original hole of the tail light. The camera wiring has the red tape on it.

I then drilled a hole directly below (under trailer)and fished the wiring through.

Like Hamops installation I taped the video extension cableconnectionsfrom the elements and put the plastic protector around all wiring. The wiring was routed along the trailer frame to the front and like Hamops install was connected to the tow vehicle with a trailer type connector.

This is a cheap camera and in the manual itstates that if you leave the camera on it could overheat (it's supposed to be used for a short time while backing up). I mounted an illuminated switch to the camera (under dash) so it can be turned on and off when needed. It is powered by a switched feed (ie. radio fuse) so that when you turn off the motor the camera is not accidently left on.

The camera is handy when traveling so you can see if someone is behind you that wants to pass.

It has a color monitor (plugs into lighter) and can mount to dash vents. For a cheap camera/monitor system the picture isn't too bad. As stated in an above post you get what you pay for.

DandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:26 AM   #20
New Camper

Nice job on your install DandK. When ever we get pics like this on installs, it will help the members here, who are planning on installing a camera system on their rv.

Keep the pics coming on any other installs.