Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2021, 07:03 PM   #21
Weekend Camper

Hello, I did the same replacement on my rig. Nice to be able to see out now. Go with the screw in type. A lot easier to install and remove. Comes with the seal already installed. Also install the shade upside down so you pull it down instead of raising it up. Minimizes the exposure of who is looking out. Biggest problem with the shade..... You CANNOT raise or lower the shade without opening screen door. You CANNOT open screen door without opening the door. Kind of defeats the purpose of the privacy shade! Anyway I just took my screen door off for the winter.
Old 09-09-2021, 07:40 PM   #22
Full Time Camper

I replaced the frosted glass with tinted glass without the shade. I then installed a regular window shade on the inside so that I didn't have to open the screen door to operate the shade. We like being able to see out the door window.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 08:32 PM   #23
Seasonal Camper

We have the tinted glass also so it's not that easy for someone to see in the trailer with the shade up. I close the shade at night when I run the awning in and I always open the door to watch the awning go up. Same thing in the morning when I open the door to watch the awning run out I open the shade. Not a big problem for us. With our floor plan if someone is at the door after dark I just turn on the porch light and look out the bedroom window. It sure is nice to see out the door window during the daytime.
Old 09-11-2021, 09:47 AM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russb View Post
I replaced the frosted glass with tinted glass without the shade. I then installed a regular window shade on the inside so that I didn't have to open the screen door to operate the shade. We like being able to see out the door window.

Russ, I'm curious what you used for a shade that doesn't come down when you are going down the road?

Where is it attached, ceiling, or wall just above the screen door?
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 10:07 AM   #25
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
Russ, I'm curious what you used for a shade that doesn't come down when you are going down the road?

Where is it attached, ceiling, or wall just above the screen door?
I used just a regular pull down window shade. I mounted it to the trim above the screen door. It stays in place while traveling. I bought a shade that can be cut to whatever width needed.
2009 F-150XLT
Old 09-12-2021, 06:26 AM   #26
Site Team

Thanks Russ. I think I'm going to check out your way of doing it. I like the idea of not needing to open everything up just to pull the shade.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 08:29 AM   #27
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
Thanks Russ. I think I'm going to check out your way of doing it. I like the idea of not needing to open everything up just to pull the shade.
We found it to be the best solution for us.
2009 F-150XLT
Old 09-12-2021, 01:18 PM   #28
Weekend Camper

We changed ours out a few years ago and couldn't be happier. Love it.
sllamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 01:48 PM   #29
Full Time Camper

I have replaced both styles, the frame with the screws on our old Sunset Trail and the screw less frame on our current Cruiser. I intentionally installed them both upside down so we could leave the shade down an inch or so to peak out at night if needed.
2021 Ford F-250 XLT Premium
6.2L, 6 3/4 ft bed, FX4. Tow pkg.
sjk1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 09:23 AM   #30
New Camper

I recently brought a thin Shade Window Kit comprises a tinted glass window as well as a tiny horizontal blind that fits neatly into the window frame, allowing us to come and go as usual. There are no covers to snap. There's no big handle to get in the way. With our hands, we just push or pull it up or down. It's that simple. The horizontal window blind embedded into the frame was something I truly liked about it.
McAdams348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 09:51 AM   #31
Weekend Camper

Be sure it install upside down so that you pull down on the shade rather lifting it up to see who is at the door.