Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2018, 11:58 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Replacement Awning Fabric Stretching At Sides?

Replaced our awning fabric last summer, and the unsupported sides are stretching longer than the center. When the awning is completely out and as tight as possible in the center the left and right edges have begun to sag. Never had this happen before with other trailers and the original didn't do this either. Only info I have on the replacement is the fabric is 15oz. vinyl with a 16oz. weatherguard. I use deflappers now to bring the edges up. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg awningfabric2017_1200.jpg (1.12 MB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1653_1200.jpg (1.10 MB, 32 views)
Old 12-06-2018, 02:35 PM   #2
Site Team

From your picture it sure looks like your rafters are way to loose. Also a few campers back the wife wanted to try the arms on the ground so I tried it and after tightening the rafters when I disconnected them and swung them out the ends were loose just like yours. Had to get a ladder and climb up and tighten the rafter again. Then a bad wind came up and we almost lost the awning before we could get it reconnected and rolled up. Never again! That was MY experience not saying that is your problem. Did whoever replaced the fabric check if the roller was straight? Can not tell from the pictures how long your awning is but the longer ones tend to "sag" when rolled up and the roller could be bowed.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 03:02 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

It's a 12' awning so pretty short. The arms are as tight as I can make them, I do use a ladder and pull them out as long as possible. What you see there is with the support arms pulled as tight as I can pull them.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:35 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

Put your roller back into " retract"and see if that removes any sag. Also try putting lags foot angled back to trailer. There are bow supports available. This will also help clear the door. Replacements are rarely as good as original.
Skip
TNTINC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 04:53 AM   #5
SJW
Weekend Camper

Looks to me like water has puddled and sat on the awning to create the sag, I could be wrong, but mine began to puddle, so I pulled it in, and there was water between the layers, so the fabric popped and revealed where it was previously taped, guess I'll be patching that or not using the awning
SJW is offline   Reply With Quote