Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2020, 01:29 PM   #1
New Camper

Replacing factory speaker and skylight fans

Please comment on either subject if you have information. We have a 2020 Sunset Trail 268 RL and are first time trailer owners. Thank you!

1) My Husband would like to replace the factory speakers inside the trailer. Is this easy enough to do? Anyone recommend a certain type of speaker? It's his birthday next week and I'd love to get him a set. He requested camping stuff and is the hardest person to shop for. I'll likely get them from amazon to get them in time.

2) We have skylights in the bathroom, kitchen and bedroom. The kitchen and bedroom ones do not have a fan. Recommended types to get and is this easy enough to do on our own?
Old 07-12-2020, 02:57 PM   #2
Gone Traveling

Just pick up a good sound bar for the tv & don't fret with the sorry original speakers.
I've had Fantastic Fans & MaxxAir fans, prefer the MaxxAir with the matching dark roof covers.
Both just my .02 cents.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 08:40 PM   #3
Site Team

I also prefer the MaxxAir fans.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2022: 3 trips, 18 nights in 4 states, 2352 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 5336 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 05:14 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

I've heard a lot of good things about the MaxxAir fans but our trailers have all had Fantastic Fans, which we've really liked.

I haven't replaced the interior speakers on our current trailer but I did replace the exterior with a set of mid-range marine speakers from Amazon. On the exterior, and probably the same for interior, the new speakers are significantly deeper due to better speaker cones and larger magnets. I couldn't install them as is due the speaker being deeper than the wall thickness. I cut some 1 1/2" donuts from 6" PVC pipe and bought longer stainless steel screws at the hardware store. Since they're mounted under the awning the installation doesn't stick out like a sore thumb ... interior may be a different story. For the interior I like the soundbar suggestion.

John & Cindy
Central Pennsylvania

2015 CrossRoads Z-1 208FL
JEH412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 04:47 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

As for the interior speakers, If they are the same as mine, it is a simple swap. My covers simply snap on and off, and there are 4 screws underneath holding them in place.
You must measure the diameter of the mounting hole, and find speakers the same size.
(typically 5 1/4" or 6 1/2" are the standard sizes) and be sure the depth of it will fit in your opening. The back of the speaker will be labeled with its Ohm rating, and you should find speakers of the same rating (typically they will be 8ohm or 4 ohm). All the speakers you look for will have this information listed, and hooking them up is a simple 2 wire connection.
A great place to look for them would be partsexpress.com they have a wide range of brands and sizes, and the prices are great as well. Nearly any replacement speaker you get will sound better than what they put in from the factory.
If you don't feel comfortable doing the research, why not just get him a gift card from partsexpress or someplace similar, and let him handle it. Either way, I'm sure he would be pleased.
Also, as stated above, the exterior speakers must be of the Marine variety.
Old 07-20-2020, 10:33 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Not sure if there’s wiring where you are wanting to put the extra fans,,might want to check before purchasing the fans!!
Old 07-20-2020, 03:10 PM   #7
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike W. View Post
Not sure if there’s wiring where you are wanting to put the extra fans,,might want to check before purchasing the fans!!
Thanks everyone! Yes, my Husband mentioned that, we will have to take a look.