Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2018, 12:10 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Replacing manual thermostat

I am creating this thread about replacing the thermostat in my rig. I was reluctant to do this last year because I had read a few threads about having to rewire or add toggle switches to the side of the thermostat for fan operation as well as some who said it was not "advisable". I know the toggle switch was for high and low fan operation, but this didn't matter to us.
The old thermostat is a manual one that really doesn't function like it should and trying to get a comfortable setting was a waste of time. So we decided to just see what I could do.
Yesterday I decided to by a basic digital thermostat and do an install and see what happens. It took some time to figure out the proper wire locations, but once I did that it works perfectly. It did not take long to see how the wiring was to go.
The one issue I did find was that you need to buy a thermostat the requires batteries for the light and operation of the thermostat. It's simpler and easier to install and you don't have to figure out jumpers and multiple wires to one connection.
I purchased a thermostat and realized, after trying to install, it required hard wiring for power to the thermostat and I could not figure it out at first. but then realized I had to do jumper wires and so forth. So I purchased the following thermostat because it was a basic digital one and installing and wiring was as simple as can be.
I don't have any pictures. But if someone wants to see the wiring to the back of the thermostat, just ask and I'll post one.

Honeywell Non-Programmable Thermostat

2016 Crossroads 291 RL Z-1
2015 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi Outdoorsman
www.wildlifeupclose.com
moore_rvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 12:58 PM   #2
Site Team

John, if that stat works for you, that's great!
Years back we were all going thru the same thing. CR was installing stats that were way off. Went to high before shutting off, and not coming back on before you were freezing.
A lot of us including myself installed the Hunter thermostat. With great success also.
I found a link to it on another forum, but it's what we did and used. I believe I purchased my stat from Walmart for 20 some dollars.
RV Digital Thermostat Upgrade | ModMyRV
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 02:18 PM   #3
Seasonal Camper

I experienced exactly the same issue, and researched residential thermostats extensively, even bought one that was supposed to work, but didn't.

I ended up getting a perfectly matched digital one made by 'Dometic' exclusively for their RV systems.

Was about $60 - 65 shipped if I remember, it took all the hassle and guesswork out if it, the screw holes even matched those on the analog bi-metal unit it replaces.

Has the same two speed function as the factory installed one but with the accuracy of digital technology.

I'm well pleased with it's performance both in A/C and Furnace control.
Biggles607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 02:38 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

I got ya Lloyd. You're right. But what I was finding last year was people saying it was not advisable to change the stats. And when someone tells me I can't do something I want to know why.
But I did my research and bought this one. When we were in Florida for the month of January, I talked to a lot of people about their upgrades and mods. Most said they had upgraded their stats to standard residential stats without issue.
The high and low settings for the fan is not a problem for us because we always set it to auto. So that didn't matter.
I'm not trying to stir trouble or call people out. I wanted to post something that showed it's not a big deal if you do it right and "keep it simple".

www.wildlifeupclose.com
Old 03-10-2018, 02:39 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles607 View Post
I experienced exactly the same issue, and researched residential thermostats extensively, even bought one that was supposed to work, but didn't.

I ended up getting a perfectly matched digital one made by 'Dometic' exclusively for their RV systems.

Was about $60 - 65 shipped if I remember, it took all the hassle and guesswork out if it, the screw holes even matched those on the analog bi-metal unit it replaces.

Has the same two speed function as the factory installed one but with the accuracy of digital technology.

I'm well pleased with it's performance both in A/C and Furnace control.
The two speed fan is not something we used so it didn't matter. This stat installed easy and works just fine.

www.wildlifeupclose.com
Old 03-10-2018, 07:41 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper

I'm glad you got one that works for you John.

See you on the road sometime I hope.
Biggles607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 10:03 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles607 View Post
I'm glad you got one that works for you John.

See you on the road sometime I hope.
Thanks Biggles. We were in Florida for 6 weeks this past January and February. Had I known then you were down there I would have looked to connect. We have a few road trips planned this year in the south.

www.wildlifeupclose.com