Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2021, 08:03 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Replacing some interior wall pieces

Hi all,
We bought our 2005 zinger this fall, and when we bought it we knew that there were some soft walls on the inside that we would need to deal with (not something that scared us away, obviously!). We sealed all of the seams before we winterized it to store it, and it hasn't gotten worse. We plan to re-rubberize the roof in the spring, just to be sure it's good and tight. Anyone replace portions of the interior walls? We don't need to do full walls (we don't think!), just a couple small sections.

We have a rear bunk that has a double on bottom, single on top, and the soft spots are on back outside corner., between the 2 bunks. I bought the thin plywood to replace the pieces once we cut them out and wallpaper to pretty the whole bunk space up when we're done, but I'm looking for tips, tricks and suggestions, maybe some advanced warning of what we might find in the walls. We're assuming we'll need to add/replace insulation.

Thanks for your insight!
2005 Crossroads Zinger- 18' (ZT18RB)
TV: 2017 Dodge Durango GT
Everyday fun: 2015 Jeep Wrangler
jenmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 12:28 PM   #2
New Camper

We're doing the same with our sunset Trail 30... Few wet spots... Hope some people will give you some tips we can use...
MattNL sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 06:26 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

No one responded, so we just watched a bunch of youtube videos and ripped into it last weekend. Pulled out the bunks. Lots of rot in the back corner, so we had to reframe the corner, and redo the corner molding. We did that today with the Seal-Tite corner kit. We still have to add insulation and put the walls back in. We bought 1/8"plywood at Home Depot. We'll put the walls back in this week. It's supposed to rain tonight, so we'll see if we got all the water entries before we close it back up.
Old 03-27-2021, 06:38 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenmel View Post
No one responded, so we just watched a bunch of youtube videos and ripped into it last weekend. Pulled out the bunks. Lots of rot in the back corner, so we had to reframe the corner, and redo the corner molding. We did that today with the Seal-Tite corner kit. We still have to add insulation and put the walls back in. We bought 1/8"plywood at Home Depot. We'll put the walls back in this week. It's supposed to rain tonight, so we'll see if we got all the water entries before we close it back up.

I see you posted your question way back in Jan.
Sorry nobody got back to you with some useful info. But I think you did the right thing by looking on utube tearing into it.

You probably found it pretty basic after you got started and more than likely feel pretty good about your decision to just go ahead and get it started.
Good luck with it. I'm sure you will have it taken care of by the time camping season gets here.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 09:27 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Sorry that no-one got back to you jenmel, that's highly unusual on this site.

I concur 100% with what Lloyd said.

I've been preoccupied otherwise I'd certainly have given you some advice, not that it sounds like you needed in the end.

I'm sure you did this already, but if you haven't buttoned it up yet, the trick to butt joining thin ply panels, or pieces thereof, is to provide a 'nailer' as framers like to call it to support the join, much like when repairing drywall for example.

When I've had to replace sections I frame the inside with a scrap strip, wide enough that I can glue, screw or staple both the existing wall material and my new 'patch' onto. Then the butt join can be filled with light weight spackle or even caulk if you like so whatever finish you put over it lays smooth.

I would re-stuffed fiberous insulation in there, or a piece of that pink foam insulation you can find in any big box DIY store.

Post some progress photos if you can, and of course we'd all love to see the finished result.

Best of luck.
Biggles607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 06:43 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

I'll try and post some pictures when it's finished. Today, we finally had time to get back to work! We put in the insulation (we used the foam insulation in sheets because it was easy to work with, and we didn't need a ton of it), completed more framing, and replaced the walls. I rewallpapered just the bunk house this afternoon. The top bunk has been rebuilt and will be put in tomorrow, and then we can finish the bottom bunk, and get it back in. Then, we should be good to go. Our first trip is in less than a month, so we needed to get it fixed. Hopefully the water will stay out!!