Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2020, 12:29 PM   #1
Full Time Camper

Screen door upgrade help!

So we have the 2016 25SE fifth wheel. We would like to replace the screen door with one that is all plexiglass so we can have the main door open and not air condition the outdoors. Anyone know the best place to purchase one? Thanks in advance. Ted

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 01:20 PM   #2
Site Team

I actually did a google search for this and did not find anything. What I did find is a DYI for installing lexan, not plexiglass, onto the existing door. If I find it, I will post the link.

Here's the link: https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...d/24310276.cfm

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 01:44 PM   #3
Site Team

I did this mod some years back. I used a fairly heavy clear vinyl. I cut it to fit over the screens, and used velcro to hold it in place. It's a simple matter to install if needed and roll up and put away after use.
I don't remember if I took any pics or not.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 06:32 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Thanks for the replies. So, I’ve decided to purchase a sheet of lexan 1/8 thick and just DIY and cut to fit the entire door and screw it on. (Except cutout for the already small square with door opener). Thanks again.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Old 10-17-2020, 01:44 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa-T View Post
So we have the 2016 25SE fifth wheel. We would like to replace the screen door with one that is all plexiglass so we can have the main door open and not air condition the outdoors. Anyone know the best place to purchase one? Thanks in advance. Ted
Check RV door buddy
We installed it on ours. All they need is measurement from your door and come cut to fit. They use the swivel clips to hold it in so it's easily removed
Old 10-17-2020, 02:19 PM   #6
Gone Traveling

My last rv I removed the screen from the door, the door had a couple different slots all the way around, I bought a smoke Lexan that I cut to fit the appropriate slot in the door top & bottom, took a couple vscrew out of the door taking it apart slid the Lexan in with a dab of silicone in each corner, put door back together & had a very nice dark colored rv storm door.
Sorry lost the pictures when my last phone crapped out.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 04:18 PM   #7
Site Team

I had Plexiglas cut to fit inside the grooves in my screen door. I just slightly bow it to pop it into the channel. I only have the bottom section in now so my dogs won't rip the screen and the top can still allow air in.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2024: 2 trips, 26 nights in 8 states, 4801 miles
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 3904 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 05:59 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

We bought clear vinyl (so I can roll it up). I put velcro with adhesive around the screen on the door and spread the vinyl on it to make the other side stick to the vinyl. I then cut around the velcro to the shape of the screen. After I peeled the vinyl off with the velcro, my husband pop riveted the door side of the velcro to the door. I then sewed the other side of the velcro to the vinyl. Now we just leave it attached with the velcro most of the time, but can easily take it off and roll it up when there is a nice breeze. It works great.
sllamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 06:31 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

UPDATE!.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa-T View Post
Thanks for the replies. So, I’ve decided to purchase a sheet of lexan 1/8 thick and just DIY and cut to fit the entire door and screw it on. (Except cutout for the already small square with door opener). Thanks again.
Well it’s been about four months since I started this post. Found out that ordering a sheet of lexan was expensive, ($123.00 for a sheet to do all three pieces and $150.00 for shipping; yea crazy) and too expensive to order through Lowe’s or Home Depot. So, I found a local private hardware store that will cut plexiglass. So, I made a pattern for the upper curved part of the door. Took that and my exact measurements for the three pieces and had it cut. Cost was $60 for the plexiglass and cutting. It was a little tricky bending them enough to pop into the groves of the door but finally got them in. The small piece in the middle of the door on the left was the hardest because it’s less pliable. I left the screen in the door for now. Might take it out; haven’t decided yet. The plexiglass is clear but looks like it’s darker because the 5er is inside my building. But overall satisfied with the results.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E2A56113-081C-4734-B8B4-8FCECEA485FE.jpg (144.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg CCDE6912-E0F6-4DA4-81AB-D86BCFB84678.jpg (162.1 KB, 7 views)

Old 02-05-2021, 09:00 AM   #10
Site Team

Looks good. What will you do if you find the need for a little breeze to come through there?
Makes ya wonder how that local store could cut it and sell it for that price when the big box stores were WAY outta the park?
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 12:49 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

If I do decide to dry camp I could always pop them out in a few minutes. But I haven’t dry camped in several years. Electric and water hookups keeps me happy now. Lol. I was going for Lexan because it’s easier to cut without cracking. But no problem with straight plexiglass if I can get it pre cut. Yea, bigger box stores don’t always mean lower prices. The Mom and Pop stores of yesterday are few and far between now. It’s a sad thing.