Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2021, 01:42 PM   #1
New Camper

Slide out mod

I just finished installing BAL 1/2” rollers assembly to my cruiseaire. I wasn’t a hard job at all, jacked up the slide using two floor jacks and 2x4’s. Move the slides all the way out, place studs “cut to fit between Jack and slide bottom” then Jack the slide up carefully, it should raise around an inch or so. Install the roller assembly at three equal points under slide. Mine came out about 30” apart. Not exactly centered but close. I used heavy thread screws and structural adhesehive to seal and install the brackets. After tightening up I lowered the slides back down. Let everything cure and the slides move so much better then just running on the wear bar. I found the assembly at Dyers RV around 25.00 each. Best mod so far!
Jdbias001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 01:46 PM   #2
Site Team

Sounds like a great improvement.
Did you take pictures of the process so we can see it?
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 02:14 PM   #3
Site Team

Please post some pictures. What kind of slide do you have and is it a flush floor?
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 02:36 PM   #4
Site Team

Sounds great, like Lloyd said, pictures would be nice.

Please put your year and model in your signature. It helps a lot when members are trying to assist you.
Instructions are in our Forum Admin, News and and Announcement tab.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 04:38 PM   #5
New Camper

Not sure how to do this, also can’t figure out how to post pictures. Help... thanks
Old 02-28-2021, 04:51 PM   #6
New Camper

Sorry for the late response, pictures show, jacking the slide up, looking at increased gap, cutting rubber away for rollers, installation completed. It really isn’t a hard mod, the structure is limited and you might think it won’t hold up but remember it’s just allowing the slide to glide on the rollers not the rub bar. Not much structure neede. IMHO...
Old 02-28-2021, 06:28 PM   #7
Site Team

It looks good.
Thanks for reporting back.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 07:36 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Nice job. Has to be smoother!

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 03:03 PM   #9
Seasonal Camper

Dear Jdbias001, and anyone else who'd like to chime in.

I have what looks like a typical 'through the frame' slide mechanism driven by a single motor. Two pinions on each end of a shaft extend and retract a rack that is attached to the slide frame. Once it disappears behind the rubber seal under the floor it's a mystery, maybe it's dark magic or something, but I see no evidence of 'rub' marks anywhere underneath.

Please forgive my ignorance, but without rollers, what is my slide bearing on, does it require lubrication as it, or is adding rollers a worthwhile mod?

Thanks in anticipation.
Biggles607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 03:28 PM   #10
Site Team

Biggles.

If it is the main slide then you have a flush floor rack and pinion slide. To tell for sure is when you run the slide in does the floor of the slide raise up. Also with the slide open lift up the carpet edge and you will see a black hard edge that runs all across the front of the slide floor. This is what the slide floor rides on so no rollers.

Could you add them? Maybe.

Now if the slide floor is above the camper floor when extended then there are probably already rollers there. Depending on the slide.

As far as lubrication just a good "DRY lube" or a slide out spray. Do not use anything that leaves a wet or sticky film as it will attract dirt.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 04:48 PM   #11
Seasonal Camper

Thanks so much dagst1

My interior floor under the carpet edge does sit up about 1/2" when fully extended and yes I can see the hard plastic edge.

The slide moves freely, no sign of binding or abrasion, my questions were purely preemptive, I'd much rather improve it now if it warrants doing than fix it later if you know what I mean.

Thanks again.
Biggles607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 05:16 PM   #12
Seasonal Camper

Biggles and others, The slideout system that the OP is referring to is the BAL Accuslide. It uses the exposed cable system. The motor and gearbox are rather undersized, especially for a large slideout. I have that same system.
It is designed ( I use the term loosely) to slide on this plastic rail. My main slideout, is 12 feet long and 34" deep, with a jack-knife sofa and dinette. It is heavy.
The rail actually collapsed on each end, leaving the slide rubbing on the frame.
I has all kinds of troubles, and in the middle of a month long trip, the motor gearbox went bad.
Once I got it home, I installed 5 of those rollers. It was night and day.
Those rollers should have been installed at the factory.
For anyone interested, there is a pretty good YouTube video on the process.
Like the OP mentioned, it's not a hard job. You just have to jack up your slideout. I did one end at a time.
The hardest part was getting the rollers. There was a nationwide backorder. One dealer in Missouri (Colaw RV?) was able to order from BAL directly and get me some.
Wingerdinger is offline   Reply With Quote