Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2010, 10:35 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

With all the talk about adding memory foam to the mattress in the bedroom I was thinking about what to do with the sofa bed. What a pathetic piece of poorly engineered crap! The people who design and manufacture this stuff should be forced to sleep on it first before it is shipped to the RV factory for installation!! There are much better beds in the County Jail. Our 06 Cruiser has the poorest designed support for the 4 inch foam pad that could ever be thought of. It sags so bad in the middle where the hips are that one night on this thing and you are ready for the chiropractor.

We take the mattress off and put it in the floor!! My last 5th wheel had a jack-knife style sofa and it slept reasonably well. Our intention in moving into this Cruiser was to enable overnight guests to have a larger bed with the fold out sofa.

Has anyone successfully fixed the webbing or support on the frame to support the mattress properly???
Pull Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 12:06 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

I couldn't agree more, all the furniture in the same price range as the crossroads products are junk to say the least, you would have to upgrade to a better unit to get better furniture, you get what you pay for, I have replaced almost all the furniture in my unit, but I do still have the sofa bed, I bought an "areo bed" air mattress, a standard double bed size, good fit, I put it right on top of the mattress, everybody who has slept on it has complimneted on how comfortable it is, if I remember I think I paid about $135.00 for the mattress, when your done it reverses and sucks all the air out and folds up and goes into a nice storeage bag, hardly takes any room to store...

2004 Ford F-350 CC dually 4X4
mbinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 12:18 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

mbinohio,

please give more information, i.e., manufacturer, where you bought it, etc., the Areo bed.

Thanks.

BTW....ditto on the "junk" remarks.
seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 02:36 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

The Cruisers now have an air mattress that fits over the sofa cushions. It sleeps much better than the hide-a-bed sofas and stores in a drawer underneath. I'm not sure of the cost but you could contact Crossroads for the info. It is much the same as the Aero Bed except the front of the mattress fits over the sofa (must remove cushions)giving you a few more inches of room to walk around the bed.It is rather heavy when deflated and might be a problem to store if you don't have astorage drawer in the sofa.

Jasper, AL

2009 30SK

[https://i565.photobucket.com/albums/s...andCruiser.jpg
kjones9820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 04:06 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

the areo bed can be bought on line they have a website "Aero Products", I bought mine at Kohl's, we went thru a few of the cheaper ones, like the coleman, the usual discount store stuff, and they were all junk, so we invested in a good one, walmart sells the same brand but it's a cheaper version than the good one, the one I have has the pump built into the unit, you can set how hard or soft you want the mattress, when it's time to put it away it will dflate it self completley flat, just roll iy up and it fits in the bottom of the closet, we have had it a few years and it has worked fine, the only thing I do is at the end of the season I do take it out for the winter, the rest of the year it stays in the camper, when we use it, it sits on top of the so'called mattress that is already there...a mattress cover came with the bed, good investment...

2004 Ford F-350 CC dually 4X4
mbinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 01:28 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

I'm not sure what the areo bed is, but my Cruiser has a Endura Ease air mattress.They have a web site and I think you can buy a mattress for $200 or less.This is what kjones9820 is talking about.It inflated in about 2-3 min and deflates fairly fast, but needs some of the air pushed out when deflating. You remove the sofa cushions and one part lays on the sofa and the other on the floor.It holds sheets(queen on ours)really well and sleeps better than any sofa bed.Try www.seatingsystem.com

2009 Cruiser 29RK
FB1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:04 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

I also put a double Bed Air Mattress on the sofa and it works pretty good.

2005 CF28RL

2006 Chevy 3500 Dually

https://s1005.photobucket.com/albums/...l/100_2411.jpg
billyohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:15 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

We have used the air bed mattress that came with our cruiser sevral times this winter for family that has come to visit. It is far better than the standard mattress style that was in our '07 cruiser
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote