Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2013, 12:02 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Hello,

I am installing a solar charging system in our ST25RB.First I am wondering if anyone would have any recommendations on how to route the cables from the roof to the batteries.I am thinking a good way to go would be to run the cables from the roof by drilling into the fiberglass cap a couple inches before the roof material and run the cables along the inside of the fiberglass cap between the insulation and the fiberglass cap down to the batteries. Hopefully the cables can come out the bottom of the fiberglass cap right behind the batteries.

Any advice on fittings to use to tap into the roof or cap would also be appreciated.

Thanks again

https://i43.tinypic.com/2ywffv9.jpg
fgregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:15 PM   #2
Site Team

When I installed a system on mine, I went over to the roof vent pipe. Pulled the cap off and drilled a hole in the side of the pipe. The pipe goes thru the closet. I drilled a hole in the vent pipe near the ceiling in the closet, pulled the wires down thru there and hooked onto the regulator panel. Make sure to seal all holes in the vent pipe with silicone, and put the cap back on the vent pipe. Then just followed the vent pipe down thru the floor into the pass thru storage and over to the batteries.
I don't think I would be drilling any holes in that fiberglass cap.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:56 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

I went with a portable system. Fabricated a 50 foot extension cord so I can park in the shade but charge in the light. yes there is the theft issue, but life is full of those characters.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:45 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

Here in a link to a you tube video which explains how to install a solar panel. It was produced by Gopower for their product lines. I found it very helpful when I did mine. Good luck !

► 12:26► 12:26

Mar 29, 2011 - Uploaded by fraserwayrv
Step by step installation of a Go Power solar panel on a RV. http://www.fraserway .com/discover ...
BobbyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:08 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Bobby O thanks so much

I watched the video and it was awesome. It was just what I needed.

Just so everyone knows I have a parallel blog about this that is getting more responses on this same topic. I apologized for this earlier. Here is the link

http://forums.crossroadsrv.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7073

I watched this video and it was the missing link for me. I had wanted to drill into the fiberglass cap because I could not get to the batteries by bringing the wires down the refrigerator vent becaus ethe underside is sealed. What this video showed was that I can come down therefrigerator vent and splice into the existing wires that go to the batteries from the shore power regulator... BRILLIANT!

I am thinking of using this method but installing a switch so that I do not loose shore power charging ability.

Thanks again
https://i43.tinypic.com/2ywffv9.jpg
fgregory is offline   Reply With Quote