Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2016, 08:54 PM   #1
New Camper

ST Super Lite ST240BI Tank Modification?

Hi everyone! We are very interested in buying the Sunset Trail Super Lite 240BI which is a perfect size for our decreasing family and offers a fantastic layout. The only problem is that the grey and black tanks are only 26 gal which is smaller than on our current hybrid trailer. Doing a fair bit of dry camping these tanks just don't cut the mustard.

Do you know if it is possible and even wise to change the tanks to 40 gal? I asked the salesman at the Dealership and he was not sure and would check with the service dept. but his knowledge on this did not leave me feeling confident.

I have also read this model had some construction issues with the shower draining to the black tank. Does anyone know if this is a lingering problem, I could buy a 2015 or 2016 model as both are on hand in the dealership and will be checking this out prior to purchase, just wondering if this issue was limited to a few units or a much larger manufacturing error?

Appreciate the advice from fellow campers!

Michael
Britserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:36 AM   #2
Site Team

To me, that is a major enough of a modification that I wouldn't want to do it, if it wasn't necessary. Especially on a brand new trailer.
I would have to recommend looking for another unit that fits your needs without having to tear into a job like that right off the bat. Tell your dealer what you want and don't let them talk you into something you don't want. If they want the sale, they should be smart enough to listen to the customer.
Plus, address the issue of where all of the sinks drains. Making sure you fully understand where they end up. Some end up on the ground.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 01:00 PM   #3
Site Team

I agree with Lloyd. That rv will not suit you needs and based on the size of a larger tank and the expense you will be better off to look at a different model.
As far as if the salesman would know if a different tank can be installed, he would not know that. Don't know if any salesman would know that. The service departments should be able to answer your question.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 01:45 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

For what its worth we just purchased a 2016 ST240BH (which is basically the same layout minus the kitchen island and extra slide) Our shower is plumbed into the gray tank as it should be. That was one of the first things I checked before purchasing as I had read on this forum that some of the showers in the 240 series went into the black tank As for the small tanks I was concerned about that as well, but we are mainly weekend campers and so far we have only been able to fill up about a third of the gray tank in one weekend trip from mostly washing dishes. My plan is to take one of the blue portable tanks along with us on some of our longer excursions just in case we fill up the gray water. I cant see us filling up the black tank since its just the bathroom only, that's a lot of flushing to fill up 26 gallons.

.... Everyday is a good day for Camping....
Poppabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:48 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

The smallish sized tanks were one of our concerns as well. Ours is the 270BH which in theory could sleep 9ish, and we have the same sized tanks as you. Only had it a week so don't know if it will be an issue.
n9740b is offline   Reply With Quote