Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2016, 07:19 PM   #1
New Camper

Stabilizer Switch Weatherproofing

Changed the stabilizer switch location and placed it and the new fuses inside a couple of "pelican" style cases found at our CTC (Canadian Tire Corp, for non-Kanucks). Haven't placed some silicone sealant on the wire holes yet, but that's next. Reduced some of the wiring also, since the fuse and switch are closer, so you loose a pigtail connection. Re-did some of the crimp connectors also. Hopefully the pictures are clear. I connected the boxes to the I-beam with a bendable, but stiff, aluminum flat that is sized to fit through the handles of the box. You can figure out the lengths and bends to make the box fit snug up against the beam. If I find they "bounce" around too much, will glue some foam to the lid to stop it. I know it could be neater, but was wanting waterproofing first, so didn't want to have any more holes than needed. One hole for wires, and once sealed, the front rubber gasket will do the rest on the door.
Those are new switches, missing the labels, but cost over half the price of exact replacements from the dealer. Not going to use them much, since I find that they really don't "stabilize" the trailer at all. You can tell when someone is walking around the living room when sleeping. Purchased some 2.5 ton scissor jacks on sale that will lift the trailer and stop it from bouncing on the axle leaf springs.
Attached Images
File Type: png Stabilizer Pic 1 (2).png (1,019.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: png Stabilizer Pic 2 (2).png (979.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: png Stabilizer Pic 3 (2).png (778.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: png Stabilizer Pic 5 (2).png (1.36 MB, 6 views)
File Type: png Stabilizer Pic 6 (2).png (626.0 KB, 6 views)
lpn9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 08:07 PM   #2
Site Team

Very nice job. Thanks for including pics.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:46 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I did something like that but used outdoor waterproof switch boxes screwed to the frame.Then pinted them black.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rr el jack switch .open 002.jpg (134.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg rr el jack switch .open 004.jpg (146.4 KB, 7 views)

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 01:13 PM   #4
New Camper

Yes Harley, saw that a few days ago. Looked at those too, but the ones I found were probably ok for outdoors, but didn't think they wouldn't keep out all tire/road spray. I was also looking for those types, but with a silicone membrane to put over the switch part, to totally seal it from the elements. But didnt' find any. So, I opted for these waterproof cases. Looks good. Have you checked out the back after a year of travelling? Any signs of corrosion or grinding switch action?
lpn9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 01:42 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpn9 View Post
Yes Harley, saw that a few days ago. Looked at those too, but the ones I found were probably ok for outdoors, but didn't think they wouldn't keep out all tire/road spray. I was also looking for those types, but with a silicone membrane to put over the switch part, to totally seal it from the elements. But didnt' find any. So, I opted for these waterproof cases. Looks good. Have you checked out the back after a year of travelling? Any signs of corrosion or grinding switch action?
There is a foam seal on the hinged cover. Keeps the switch clean. Inside of box is sealed so it stays clean also..

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stabilizer, switch, waterproof