Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2016, 06:39 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Storing Exterior Grill

Hi All,

First time I've had an external grill. Other than the gas line they gave me being 10inches too short it worked fine. Now that its been used, there will always be some missed scent for the critters to sniff.

I'm poking around the internet thinking that a small lockable truck box secured to the rear bumper or on one of those rear bumper trays.

What does everyone do to store/transport the grill?

Thanks
mlaporte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:18 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

You can get a longer gas hose for your grill off Amazon. I put my grill in a plastic tote and keep it in the front storage compartment or the back of my truck.
2021 Ford F-250 XLT Premium
6.2L, 6 3/4 ft bed, FX4. Tow pkg.
sjk1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:26 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Well for the first time in 18 years I purchased a Weber propane grill this year. Always used charcoal before but finally got tired of the bags of charcoal. So this is what I do. I use the grill while camping and the last day I remove the cast iron grates and place them in a small plastic tub of water and dawn to soak for a few hours. Then I clean them with SOS pads and also clean the inside of the grill with an SOS pad and wipe it down with a small water soaked rag making sure it's wiped/down to remove the left over residue from the SOS pad. Put the grates back in the grill and turn it back on for a few minutes to dry everything off. After its cooled off I put the grill in a heavy duty gym bag I purchased from Walmart and store it in the front storage of the 5er. Sounds like a lot but really besides the soaking of the grates I probably spend 30 minutes cleaning everything. Oh yea I also clean the drip pan, rinse and put back under grill. Then it's all clean for the next trip.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:53 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa-T View Post
Well for the first time in 18 years I purchased a Weber propane grill this year. Always used charcoal before but finally got tired of the bags of charcoal. So this is what I do. I use the grill while camping and the last day I remove the cast iron grates and place them in a small plastic tub of water and dawn to soak for a few hours. Then I clean them with SOS pads and also clean the inside of the grill with an SOS pad and wipe it down with a small water soaked rag making sure it's wiped/down to remove the left over residue from the SOS pad. Put the grates back in the grill and turn it back on for a few minutes to dry everything off. After its cooled off I put the grill in a heavy duty gym bag I purchased from Walmart and store it in the front storage of the 5er. Sounds like a lot but really besides the soaking of the grates I probably spend 30 minutes cleaning everything. Oh yea I also clean the drip pan, rinse and put back under grill. Then it's all clean for the next trip.
Wow, that's a lot of work! After trying propane, bottle fed, and tank fed, also electric, and a couple of charcoals, I've finally settled on the Weber Go Anywhere (rectangular) charcoal grill, with matching table. Our commissary sells these little Kingsford bags with charcoal inside, that you light the whole bag. They're about $2 or $3 each, depending where you buy them. I'll snuff the coals when done, and re-use them one more time. Then dump them when cold. I don't clean anything, until the next time I fire up the grill, and get it hot, then I wire-brush the grill. I use a charcoal chimney from Weber, I don't use starting fluid. At our last outing, I cooked Ribeyes for four, and they were terrific! BTW, the dusty grill rides in the back of the pickup!
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 06:18 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

We have a retrofitted Weber for the back grill mount. Last use of a trip i let it get nice and hot, let it cool and use the grill brush to scrub it out. Clean\rinse the drip tray and put it back.
No smell, no issues from the front storage bin.
2015 ST270BH
https://burgpath.us/photos/index.php?cat=13
Burgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 06:34 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

It took us one trip using the grill that came with the trailer, and we quickly ditched it in favor of a Coleman road trip, and opted for the bag on wheels. We have a rear bath, so we thought we'd offset some of the added tongue weight by putting it in the shower. The thing fits like a glove like it was made to go there.

-Tim

TV: 2015 F-150 XLT Crew Cab 3.5L Eco 4x4 Max Tow
TT: 2017 26BB
SB: Catalina 22
NoodlesWIU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 07:48 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyinSC View Post
Wow, that's a lot of work! After trying propane, bottle fed, and tank fed, also electric, and a couple of charcoals, I've finally settled on the Weber Go Anywhere (rectangular) charcoal grill, with matching table. Our commissary sells these little Kingsford bags with charcoal inside, that you light the whole bag. They're about $2 or $3 each, depending where you buy them. I'll snuff the coals when done, and re-use them one more time. Then dump them when cold. I don't clean anything, until the next time I fire up the grill, and get it hot, then I wire-brush the grill. I use a charcoal chimney from Weber, I don't use starting fluid. At our last outing, I cooked Ribeyes for four, and they were terrific! BTW, the dusty grill rides in the back of the pickup!
Not really that much work. More soaking than anything and I could leave it until next trip I fire it up and scrape everything down but I'm just like that.
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 10:03 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

I store mine in an oversize canvas gym bag after heating and scraping the grill, then spraying with canola oil.
With the grill that cam with the camper I was able to store it on top of the stove in the outdoor kitchen. My Weber Q doesn't fit there, so I store it in the front pass through storage.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:05 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

I have used a Rubbermaid toter for my Holland Companion Grill for years. Put it inside the trailer while travelling then underneath when camping and not in use. Never had an issue with critters. Grill gets one good cleaning a year, otherwise it just gets burned off and the drip tray cleaned.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:32 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb View Post
I have used a Rubbermaid toter for my Holland Companion Grill for years. Put it inside the trailer while travelling then underneath when camping and not in use. Never had an issue with critters. Grill gets one good cleaning a year, otherwise it just gets burned off and the drip tray cleaned.
I think this is where I'm heading, in our ST270BH the outdoor kitchen is nice, just the long shelf above would be more bester with 1 more inch. I could fit my dutch oven table there.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:55 AM   #11
Family Vacation Member

We clean it up as best we can, put it in it's cover, and put it in the front storage along with the griddle and grill table.
KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 12:07 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

mine goes into a waxed(babana box w/ newspaper inside.) and fits nicely on the left of my out kitchen straddling the sink. I also do not use the fridge so the bag chairs are strapped to the wall where the fridge would be.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 01:44 PM   #13
Sue
Weekend Camper

I have the Weber baby Q which we have modified to hook up directly to the RV propane line. It permanently sits on a bumper hook up from BillsBumperQ.com When we are done using the grill we slide it back onto bumper, empty the tray, cover it up and Unhook from gas line. We clean when we get home from a trip. Also have a brass cleaning brush for on the road. It works great.
Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 08:55 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

Mine fits in the outdoor kitchen over the stove. I use the original styrofoam lower packing to hold it in place. I do have a cargo tray that fits in the receiver hitch that I could use. I have a 305 RS.

2016 CF305RS
MeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 09:54 PM   #15
Weekend Camper

We put our modified Cuisinart Stainless steel on a sliding bed in the front compartment that leaves it in the middle of the compartment out of the way
Smokinjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 09:18 PM   #16
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMe View Post
Mine fits in the outdoor kitchen over the stove. I use the original styrofoam lower packing to hold it in place. I do have a cargo tray that fits in the receiver hitch that I could use. I have a 305 RS.
I wish our ST270BH had the bigger kitchen, but it was the bunks or the kitchen for now, the bunks won. The space above the sink/burners needs about 1 more inch and could be so much more useful.