Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2009, 04:10 AM   #1
New Camper

I was thinking of adapting my Shurflo pump to transfer water for dry camping. The setup would be something like:

1. Install a garden hose fitting on the winterizing hose.

2. Insert one end of the hose into a 55gal water drum (in the bed of my truck) and attach the other end to the newly installed fitting.

3. Add a 3-way valve (similar to the winterizing valve) between the pump and the RV plumbing.

4. Add a tee into the tank vent line.

5. Connect the newly installed valve and tee.

When I want to transfer water I would turn the pump off, flip the winterizing valve and the new valve, and turn the pump back on. Water should flow in through the winterizing hose and into the tank through the vent hose. The main tank fill would act as the vent.

Has anyone done something similar? Would I burn out thepump if I used it continuously for that long (i.e., 55GAL @ 2.8GPM = 20MIN)? If prime is a problem, I could put a small valve at the end of thegarden hose and siphon water to that point before attaching to the winterizing hose.
parkskn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 06:23 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

I never have to winterize, so I am not that familiar with the workings of that system. It seems that it would work.

It would be less involved if you just had an independent pump (you could pick up power from your tow vehicle) and just refilled you existing fresh water tank from your portable source. You could also use the pump to get water from a stream or other static point to fill the portable tank. The second pump would also serve as a back-up to your hard wired pump should it fail.

I have to admit that you idea is a cleaner set up, but it could have it's downside when trouble shooting. Just a thought.

Let us know how it turns out.

See you out there,

Robert
100ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:03 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I use to do this very thing on an old hunting lease we had. A friend and I shared a 32' Holiday Rambler TT and we had electric on the place but not water. We would take 1 or 2 55 gallon plastic drums in the bed of my truck and fill the trailer tank. I bought a 12v pump and used it to fill the tank from the drums. It would connect to the trailer battery and could empty a drum in less than 10 minutes. In fact I still have that pump and one of the plastic drums. I think I bought the pump at Northern Tools.

Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote