Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2019, 01:10 PM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Under Sofa Storage Drawer

When we bought our Zinger brand new, we knew from the get go it was going get some enhancements.

We saw it as more or less a blank canvas, with maybe just the sky, horizon and some grass painted on in the foreground, but little else.

The moment we got it home out came the paint, metaphorical in this case of course.

Immediately we added drawers under either side at the foot of the bed so we don't need to lift the bed platform anymore. We added full seat length drawers under the dinette so that space is utilized to the max.

In the bathroom we added a cupboard over the loo and a cubby under the sink. With the installation of a shore power connector we eliminated the need to stuff the cord into a void under the pantry and earned a couple or three cubic feet under there which neatly stores our pooch's supplies.

We thought we'd pretty much found every bit of space and had a finished masterpiece (in our eyes anyway) and then we saw it.

While stretched out on our recliners watching the TV one evening, out of the blue my wife asked "How deep is the mechanism beneath our jack knife sofa?"

I said "I really don't know, lets have a look".

To my amazement, the void under there is nearly thirty inches deep, just under six feet long and almost eleven inches from springs to carpet.

The cogs started turning and soon we had a plan.

The lower front padded panel was secured by just two screws and does nothing except hide the space under the seat. Below is what it looks like with the panel removed exposing the void.

I wondered if it added support to the seat above, but in all positions it offers no support whatsoever. Once it was off, we sat, lay, and bounced on the sofa. Aside from the fun of bouncing on the furniture (my Mum always told me off for doing that) we proved the panel is purely decorative, but more importantly saw that the springs under load wouldn't infringe on the available space.

We opted for a drawer with internal dimensions of 48" x 24" and a depth of 6". This simplified construction using readily available 'Home Depot' pre-cut sheet materials, namely 1/4" ply for the floor.

We had some surplus 1/2" sand ply which I ripped 7" wide to make the back and sides then reinforced the floor with 1" x 2" also from HD.

The 24" full extension drawer glides are mounted to support rails made from off cuts of lumber. I mounted the glides 1/4" lower at the back so gravity will help keep this mammoth drawer closed.

After a couple of coats of clear sealer, and a very light sanding the silky smooth drawer assembly, with glides and rails attached was located centrally under the sofa using eight stainless steel screws of a length not the penetrate the slide out floor.

We needed to cut down the front panel vertically by about an inch to clear the slight drop down of the front edge of the sofa seat. We had to remove the top row of staples securing
the upholstery, cut the substrate and foam, then re-staple. Took all of about twenty minutes.

Once done, the panel was clamped to the front of the drawer and eight screws run through from inside the drawer into the substrate.

Having some lumber laying around saved me a few pennies, total out of pocket for this was about thirty five bucks, seventeen of which were the drawer glides. I spent a couple of hours in the workshop and about half as much again for the final installation. This was three hours well spent, and gained us some valuable storage space.

I seriously don't think there is any more space to find in this trailer, I can finally pack away the paints and easel..........maybe in that great big new drawer under the sofa.
Biggles607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 02:21 PM   #2
Site Team

Nice job John.
Pretty soon your camper won't be able to haul all the stuff you are making extra room for.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 02:42 PM   #3
Seasonal Camper

Thanks Lloyd,

You're exactly right. And while I know YOU know this, for anyone else considering such a modification, it's prudent to think about the impact of such a mod.

The weight of the drawer notwithstanding, it's what going in it, and the fact that the entire assembly and the eventual contents are installed in a slide-out which has it's own weight limitations.

But thanks again for keeping me honest
Old 11-03-2019, 03:22 PM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Nice.
Only problem is that in 2 more years, the pleather is going to fall apart.
It doesnt last long.

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7 Diesel
2014 Zinger 27RL (Traded)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
markandkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 06:31 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Thanks Mark and Kim, but I got that covered.....quite literally in this case.

I have a local upholstery guy who will do a better than factory job in whatever material we decide to go with when the inevitable happens.

Lets just hope he's still in business/alive in your two years...
Old 11-04-2019, 08:38 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Did the same idea in an older trailer...just put 2 cabinet door maginets on each end of the face board , and when layed down or lifted off was a good spot for a large tupperware under bed tote with bedding or such...even a box of "empties " fit .

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:04 AM   #7
Site Team

On our previous camper it had a trunk door to access the area from outside and the front was hinged so it could be accessed from the inside also.

I also agree to watch what you add so as not to be overloaded.
Each year on our last trip we do a "purge". If we did not use it during the year then it goes in the shop. Its amazing the stuff you think you need and then never use.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 03:23 PM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Thanks Dagst1,

That 'purge' is now on my annual 'to do' list.

And also why my range is coming out soon.
Old 12-13-2019, 11:36 AM   #9
Gone Traveling

Wow! Its great work but I want to see what you put in your drawer. Food items or some stuff to sleep? Share more images.
Remedios_Sharrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 04:42 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Nice. Can never have enough storage.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 03:04 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

Nice job! Showed your pics to my wife, and guess who has a another honey-do added to the spring list. That's OK. We've been keeping camp chairs under the sofa but this fall decided we're going to move them to the outside storage because we both hate lifting the sofa cushion to retrieve anything. And, the second grandson is getting old enough that he'll probably want to go camping with us this year. He just started sleeping over at grandma and grandpa's with his brother a few months ago, so we'll need more storage for something or another.

We do an annual (or more) purge as well. It's amazing how things magically appear and never get used.

John & Cindy
Central Pennsylvania

2015 CrossRoads Z-1 208FL
JEH412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 06:13 AM   #12
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remedios_Sharrock View Post
Wow! Its great work but I want to see what you put in your drawer. Food items or some stuff to sleep? Share more images.

Hi Remedios,

I didn't post pictures as I'm nearly out of space in my photo album, sorry.

We just returned from a short trip, and I can tell you that drawer was a big bonus.

We kept a thicker duvet and a couple of those lightweight quilted coats everybody seems to have these days for unexpected cold weather in one of those vacuum bags, a multi-function countertop electric mini oven and a mini mushroom shaped electric space heater, all of which took up only half the drawer.
Old 09-05-2020, 04:54 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles607 View Post
Hi Remedios,

I didn't post pictures as I'm nearly out of space in my photo album, sorry.

We just returned from a short trip, and I can tell you that drawer was a big bonus.

We kept a thicker duvet and a couple of those lightweight quilted coats everybody seems to have these days for unexpected cold weather in one of those vacuum bags, a multi-function countertop electric mini oven and a mini mushroom shaped electric space heater, all of which took up only half the drawer.
We "discovered" the same space under the folding sofa. Took off the front panel and found enough space for 3 plastic totes. One of our most useful areas.